Infantry or Train, that’s the question on Hessen Pickelhauben

All three are wonderful examples. Is the one one cavalry. I know, well think, Hessen cavalry didn’t use the square from visors.

This model for enlisted men could be for infantry too; only the marking tells it was used by the Hessian train battalion, TB18.

View attachment 24423
And maybe sometimes, the width of the M91 side post too. Either wider (3mm) for convex chinscales worn in the Train units or tighter for infantry chinstrap (1mm).

Philippe
;)

And maybe sometimes, the width of the M91 side post too. Either wider (3mm) for convex chinscales worn in the Train units or tighter for infantry chinstrap (1mm).

Philippe
;)
I’d have to see examples to better understand

I’d have to see examples to better understand
I think Philippe means that chinscales, being thicker, need to be anchored to a post on which the index is more distant from the basis. Conversely, on helmets that only received leather chinstraps, the metal piece that hooks to the post is thinner, and hence this distance is shorter.

Thank you for posting these photos. Position of the screws on back of the wappen is different than majority of the examples. Screws on most wappens are horizontal which is rare based on my experience.
You are right, position of the screws is different, but this vertical configuration is commonly seen on Hessian helmets.

I hope the one I posted form Weitze is correct.... I think so based on some others opinion

The loops on Hessen OR issued helmet wappen are horizontal while private purchase officer wappen are soldered on the diagonal.

Reactions: ccj
Back