Interesting "Twist" Ventilating a Pickelhaube

dave mosher

I believe I had posted this on the old forum, so hope there is still be some interest in seeing it again. Here is a nice clean early artillery or cavalry Bavarian officer's spike but....

I remember it well, Dave. It is one of the most unique systems I have seen. However, I didn't recall D.R.G.M. being stamped on the mechanism. It's the coolest (pun intended).

Thanks for putting it back on the forum.

Chas.

Thanks Chas

As you twist the spike counter-clockwise (where the perling is), four enclosed brass arms within the spikebase shut off the vent holes. The aluminium spikebase retainer inside the helmet is marked "DRGM 136714". Here is a look inside the helmet when the vents are closed.

Dave

You know, there are not enough little faces in the reply options to express emotions....... I need one where the little head explodes.

That has just got to be the most amazing system I have ever seen on a helmet and like Chas, I remember it well.

Yes I remember this. I was astounded then, I am astounded now. You wouldn't be interested in trading this baby off, would you? Quality quality, quality. You just do not see what you have there everyday. In fact, I don't think have ever seen it before or after.

Back