IR 149 ÜBERZUG WITH SOME QUESTIONS

argonne

Gents,
today I´d like to share with you this IR 149 Überzug, not my latest find but one of the few goodies I could find last year.
The 6th West Preussischen IR 149 had its garrison in Schneidemühl, BA II.
Überzug is well marked with BA II and JR149 perfect matching marks at the inside. Also dated 1914. All five hooks are still there, magnetic and originally sewn. No pre war zigzag sewing of the red numbers but line machine sewing. Numbers are not made of wool cloth but are some kind of felt or velvet. General condition is pretty good although a little bit soiled.
As you can see on one pict, the spike also still has its leather reinforcement.
This cover unfortunately came without helmet, but anyway it perfectly fits my M95 Haube of the GR89 IIB M-Strelitz, which is a small size (about 53).
However I wonder about a few things, particularly about the placement of the hooks.
On this Überzug, there are inversely only two hooks for the front visor but three for the rear one... There is also no hole in this cover to fit with the ventilation hole of a back spine...
This makes me think about two possibilities. This Überzug could have fit a felt helmet with brass fittings and without rear spine. This would also explain the fact of three hooks at the back. This is really a problem to fit this Überzug on a haube with a rear spine, because the hook in the middle is quite disturbing...
Maybe another possibility: I mean I have heard in the past something about helmet covers which were worn (for a short time) with numbers at the back of helmet, to make the sighting of units more difficult for the enemy... 8-[ I tried to inverse the cover on this particular haube but it does not fit, because the front half of the cover is wider than the back half and its impossible to get the spike in the cover without breaking one or two of the five spike covers cloth attachments. :x
Guys, I would appreciate your comments about this particular hooks placement.
Enjoy the following picts!

Philippe :salute:

:-k I’m just as puzzled as you are about these differences ,the hooks could have been
stitched on a Monday morning and so on the wrong side , but that doesn’t explain the missing
ventilation hole for the rear spine.

Very nice cover but, however, I have no idea why it lacks a hole for the rearspine ventilation hole. Your explanation that this cover belonged originally to a felt helmet seems quite plausible to me. Have you consulted the following thread on helmet covers?

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards :wave:

Edwin

Yes Edwin, I already read this thread in the past, as all articles of Colonel Joes site and also Tonys Bunker site. But good idea, I read it again for a few minutes and study the picts...As Joe wrote , "don´t be confortable with helmet covers, there is always an anomaly"... :-({|=
One also can clearly see on a few picts of his thread that some covers only have two hooks on the front...
One more anomaly: Joe writes that the spike is attached to the rest of the cover with 4 cloth pieces....My Überzug has 5... :-"

Philippe :salute:

Back