Is this a machine repair facility??

joerookery

What is this? -- I know Gus it's a bunch of guys with some pretty guns -- but besides that?
MG_2.jpg

MG_1.jpg

Joe:

Those are captured machine guns. From left to right, I can identify a Russian Pulemyot Maxim (with a an interesting hybrid Sokolov carriage/tripod), a British Lewis, an U.S. Colt Model 1895, and a French Mitrailleuse Model 07T16

As for the placard, I believe it testifies to "the commemoration of machine gun booty," and depicts a repair work staff at Spandau.

Chas.

Joe,
I agree with you, pretty guns, but Chas is right. The Sokolov carriage/tripod is actually rather common, I have seen it in several period photos.
Gus

It reads "Beute MG Instandsetzungswerkstätte der G.P.K. Spandau-Ruhleben" a repair unit spezialized on captured machineguns evidently located near Berlin.

Probably a US owned Colt. The Canadians had them early till they got hotchkis and Lewis. Potatoe digger's . Any one other than the US and Canada use them?
Nice Picture.
Mark

zipperheads9 said:
Probably a US owned Colt. The Canadians had them early till they got hotchkis and Lewis. Potatoe digger's . Any one other than the US and Canada use them?
Nice Picture.
Mark

Hey Mark,
I would argue that it was more likely a Belgian potato digger.
Gus

Thanks
I had no idea other country used the colt I have seen a couple of Canadian Versions 1 that actually worked ,the Canadians added a d ring and cable to cock the wepon from the rear of the gun. I have little knowledge of other countries using them .They were not liked by Canadian troops as they overheated quickly.
The museum has a Lewis made for Belgium by the Brittish it is not in 303 any ideas of cliber it was made in 1915.
Mark

Colt Model 1985 and 1914 (potato digger) machinegns were sold to the following countries: Belgium (7.65mm), Canada (.303), Cuba (.30), El Salvador (7mm), France (.303), Great Britain (.303), Greece (6.5mm), Italy (6.5mm), Mexico (7mm), Netherlands (6.5mm), Nicaragua (7mm),
Russia (7.62mm), Spain (7mm).

Many of the Model 1914 guns supplied to Russia were manufactured by Marlin.

The Browning Machinegun, Volume 1, by D.L. Goldsmith contains some very good information on the development and sale of the above weapons.

Reservist1

Thanks
R1
Mark :D
The Colt factory had a problem with it's workers when Canada picked up there LMG's and Pistols .
Mark

Back