Is this a Stirnpanzer?

Robert

Looks more like a selfmade device to me. Picture is bad, no date.

stirnp_01.jpg

stirnp_02.jpg

So you are the guy that beat me out for this picture! Could not have gone to a better man! :D :D :D I am so used to getting beat up by banjo picker is nice to see someone else besides him win one. I agree with your assessment that this is homemade -- not the best picture, but nonetheless quite interesting! :eek:

Hey Robert,
I would say that it is a Stirnpanzer. I looks like he is wearing a spikeless Pickelhaube with a neck cover to me. I have not seen a photo, or an example of this exact panzer, but there were many different designs, and this is the simplest wat to construct one. Very interesting photo
Gus

Hi Joe sorry for that, sometimes I get in a flurry about a picture and sort of overdo it :laughing8: .

I did not think he is wearing a helmet beneath becasue the visor would be showing. But the reflection on his back head does indicate that there is some sort of lining tucked under the strap. I wonder did soldiers sometimes carry a Stirnpanzer seperately? When there is no shelling and only sniper fire to fear (e.g. on look-out positions) this would seem a plausible idea.

Hey Robert,
Is this a post card or a photo, if it is a post card, the photo would probably have been taken in a training trench, as cameras were forbidden in the fighting trenches, if it is just a photo, it could be a fighting trench. It looks to me like he has a Filtz Helm with out a spike, the visor would be barely beyond the Stirnpanzer. The visor would keep the Panzer from slipping over the eyes, If you draw an imaginary line up the soldier's face, it lloks like the Stirnpanzer is too far forward to be worn with out a helmet.
I do not know why you are apologizing to Joe of out bidding him, he should apologize to you for bidding you up:)
Best wishes
Gus

he should apologize to you for bidding you up:)

You are right. I do not like this privacy bidding. You cannot tell easily who you are bidding against. If I had known Robert was doing this I would have stopped. I knew it was not banjo picker, because if I put in an unreal bid on a picture. He just comes along and squashes me. I yearn for the old days when you knew who you were up against.

Gustaf, I´ll call it the postcard picture type, i.e. a photograph enlarged on a paper with lines on the back that allow it to be used as a postcard.

I assume he was posing for an action picture (not necessarily at the front lines), staged up like many picrues. If it would have turned out better he might have sent it home to his girl friend and we would have some nice writing + stamps on the back.

Good catch about the position. There is definitely something rather thick beneath the plate.

Joe, that banjo picker sounds like an old buddy of yours! Maybe we should always bid some unusual amount behind the decimal point like xx.44 to indicate it´s us :D

Back