Italian dragoon helmet

TacHel

A new acquaintance of mine asked me to ID a helmet he had for a while... A quick search on Google told me it was an Italian dragoon's helmet from the reign of Victor Emanuel III.

Far from being an expert here...

1- I am correct?
2- Are parts available for repair? (chin strap etc)
3- Any idea as to an approximate value as is?

View attachment 2
View attachment 1

I wouldn't say "not collected," it is just that these are so seldom even seen in North America! I don't think the Italians had that many dragoons and many of the helmets simply haven't survived.

But I'll say this... the Italians make up for - how do I put this - battlefield performance with some fanastic looking helmets. They may not have been the best on the battlefield (actually they typically had middling leadership) but they looked good on parade. :-"

Peter_Suciu said:
I wouldn't say "not collected," it is just that these are so seldom even seen in North America! I don't think the Italians had that many dragoons and many of the helmets simply haven't survived.

But I'll say this... the Italians make up for - how do I put this - battlefield performance with some fanastic looking helmets. They may not have been the best on the battlefield (actually they typically had middling leadership) but they looked good on parade. :-"

Kind of in line with the famous joke "would you like to buy a WW2 Italian rifle? Never fired, just dropped once..."

:wink:

TacHel said:
Peter_Suciu said:

Kind of in line with the famous joke "would you like to buy a WW2 Italian rifle? Never fired, just dropped once..."

:wink:

I use that joke about the French MAS-36 rifle I own.

That's a correct ID of the helmet...Italian dragoon of VEIII period. The cross on the front is the cross of Savoy. It could take quite a while searching Italian Ebay...but I'll bet you could find the parts you seek. I am just guessing but I would value it in the$600-1000 range, especially if you put i up on Italian Ebay.

Back