J.Bambus Chin Strap Colour?

Jeff B.

I've got a rolled edge felt Prussian Pickelhaube, equipped with M95 brass fittings, wappen and a black liner. What colour should the chin strap be on these helmets? Mine is missing and I'd be content buying a reproduction chin strap.
On this note, who is the go to nowadays for repro chin straps? I'd like something of quality, but not break the bank either. I'm in Ontario Canada, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

This guy on eBay in Latvia does a good job using original metal fittings and antique leather. I have bought two from him. Reasonable shipping as well. The only thing you have to do is take out the metal staples he puts in and sew the ends if you want it to look better. Visually you would not see the staple if that does not bother you.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/195641197540?hash=item2d8d1fc3e4:g:Ki4AAOSwXD9kBf0g

Greetings from Kingston, ON.

Peter, I had a look at the Ebay ad you posted. They look really good, especially with original fittings and the aged leather. I've got an M16 Stahlhelm that needs a chin strap as well. Maybe I'll inquire about a package deal?
I remember reading about other collectors making their own chin straps out of old horse bridles, harness, etc. I'm a Millwright so I could recreate the brass/metal fittings no problem. Anybody had luck making their own?

Peter, I had a look at the Ebay ad you posted. They look really good, especially with original fittings and the aged leather. I've got an M16 Stahlhelm that needs a chin strap as well. Maybe I'll inquire about a package deal?
I remember reading about other collectors making their own chin straps out of old horse bridles, harness, etc. I'm a Millwright so I could recreate the brass/metal fittings no problem. Anybody had luck making their own?
He actually uses vintage 100 year old leather.

I've been working on my technique for making reproduction chinstraps. I made this one from original hardware and vintage leather. A main challenge is finding vintage leather of the right type.

Attachments

• Prussian M15 Ersatz-8.jpg
    Prussian M15 Ersatz-8.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back