Jäger zu Pferd helmets for officers

Sandmann

Dear fellow collectors,
when I read something about the helmets of JzP officers, it is always written that they were made of "blackened steel, but polished steel helmets were tolerated". Without any clear rule.
In the Prussian dress code for officers of 1899, only blackened helmets are mentioned, with no exceptions. But in the „Armee-Verordnungsblatt“ of 1897 (page 263) and 1913 (page 175) there are mentioned "blackened and polished" steel helmets. Unfortunately also without further information when which version was worn.
Anyway, since both variants are listed in the „Armee-Verordnungsblatt“ and both variants demonstrably existed, I cannot imagine that polished steel helmets were only "tolerated".
That's why I would like to ask if anyone knows of any other interesting sources on this topic or if anyone has more detailed information on this?
I look forward to your comments and opinions.

D686DC54-B1C0-4E34-B965-56682B69B148.jpeg
(Source: Armee-Verordnungs-Blatt 1897, page 263)
62FC7511-D540-4F54-BEFD-C7AE05ED5171.jpeg
(Source: Armee-Verordnungs-Blatt 1913, page 175)

Sandy,
Thank you for bringing up this subject. As a beginner in the fine art of collecting Pickelhauben, I look forward to the comments of the more experienced and learned members of the forum.
Best regards,
John

Is it possible that the polished steel helmets may refer to the subdued (blackened) portion being polished as opposed to dull or matte in nature? I only ask because I notice a significant difference in my JzP helmets when I first get them and after I have cleaned them up, knocked off the dust and rust, and applied a quality metal polish/protectant such as Auto Sol or Rennaissance Wax. I have seen one JzP helmet that was spray painted black, and had a lot of surface rust, but it cleaned up nicely, and I applied a gun bluing solution that is very close to the finish on other originals.

I think that you may be right. However, this topic has not yet been resolved for me. I saw a photo of Kaiser Wilhelm II. with a shiny JzP helmet and as far as I know he was very involved in designing the JzP uniform. But why should he wear a helmet against the rules? I think I have read all the old articles of the "Zeitschrift für Heereskunde" about the JzP uniform and it seems that it was not a question that officers were allowed to wear shiny helmets instead of blackened ones in the old days. None of the old authors, who were officers in the imperial army and contemporary witnesses, addressed that point. Therefore, it seems to have been a well-established thing. But as I wrote, it’s hard to believe that it was just tolerated because there are so many officer helmets with a nickeled finish.

Hello Sandy,
Relevant question. JzPf Off de R..jpg
Since the JzPf officer's helmet differed from the cuirassier officer's helmet only by the front eagle, perhaps this was an additional way to distinguish them from each other. I can only testify from my archives, which only show polished helmets.
(while the helmet of the troop is always with blackened shell M05 or M15)

Thank you Thierry, also a good point and a beautiful helmet 🤩
I have an example of a blackened officer helmet on my website, so there are no doubts that both variants existed: About the „Jäger zu Pferd“ helmets
Perhaps the JzP were still too new and the process of uniform design was not yet finalized. In 1913 the blackened fittings of the officers of the JzP regiments No. 5 and 6 were eliminated again, which shows that the design of the uniforms was still being worked on (it is not clear whether a similar regulation was also issued for enlisted men helmets). However, I hope to find some period paper with a rule on this topic someday.

Is it possible that the polished steel helmets may refer to the subdued (blackened) portion being polished as opposed to dull or matte in nature? I only ask because I notice a significant difference in my JzP helmets when I first get them and after I have cleaned them up, knocked off the dust and rust, and applied a quality metal polish/protectant such as Auto Sol or Rennaissance Wax. I have seen one JzP helmet that was spray painted black, and had a lot of surface rust, but it cleaned up nicely, and I applied a gun bluing solution that is very close to the finish on other originals.
I just noticed that the blackened officer's helmets are not polished, but have a matte finish (please see the link of my previous post). Do you think that the "polished" then indicates a nickel-plated parade helmet? Perhaps a blackened helmet for field service and a bare parade helmet were intended?

All, I appreciate this conversation, as I have procured both JzP and Kurassier metalhelms that had different colors of spray paint and painted fittings; one Kurassier helmet had been painted silver with the spike and wappen were painted a dull gold-ish, brown color. I had found another Kurassier helmet that had been painted black, again, with spike and wappen a different dull gold-ish color. I also had one JzP that had what appeared to be black paint or laquer, but had significant oxidization, with spike and wappen painted with a silver paint. I had taken a wire brush to the first JzP and the Kurassier helmet that was painted black, as I figured I'd get rid of the incorrect black paint, and the rust, and in the case of the JzP, refinish the helmet with a gun bluing solution, and in the case of the Kurassier helmet, stripped it, and applied Rennaissance Wax to it, to protect its bare steel finish. As I read this thread, it occurs to me that I should have posted before pictures and consulted people on this forum prior to completely removing all finishes.

All, I appreciate this conversation, as I have procured both JzP and Kurassier metalhelms that had different colors of spray paint and painted fittings; one Kurassier helmet had been painted silver with the spike and wappen were painted a dull gold-ish, brown color. I had found another Kurassier helmet that had been painted black, again, with spike and wappen a different dull gold-ish color. I also had one JzP that had what appeared to be black paint or laquer, but had significant oxidization, with spike and wappen painted with a silver paint. I had taken a wire brush to the first JzP and the Kurassier helmet that was painted black, as I figured I'd get rid of the incorrect black paint, and the rust, and in the case of the JzP, refinish the helmet with a gun bluing solution, and in the case of the Kurassier helmet, stripped it, and applied Rennaissance Wax to it, to protect its bare steel finish. As I read this thread, it occurs to me that I should have posted before pictures and consulted people on this forum prior to completely removing all finishes.
As a point of clarification here, I do not believe any of my helmets are officer helmets, based on the trim, liner, and fittings they have. I understand that over time, these can all be replaced, but they look more like the enlisted helmets than the officer quality.

I just noticed that the blackened officer's helmets are not polished, but have a matte finish (please see the link of my previous post). Do you think that the "polished" then indicates a nickel-plated parade helmet? Perhaps a blackened helmet for field service and a bare parade helmet were intended?
Blackened steel Jäger zu Pferde helmets of any type were actually black manganese parkerized (developed in 1869) which involves an immersion process. That finish was never meant to be polished, it was meant to be a black satin, like a firearm. So it seems reasonable that “polished” probably indicates nickel plated.

My understanding is that Nickelled officer Metalhelme are correct for Regiments 1-7 in garrison etc. So the blackened helmets with silver fittings seem to be an anomaly that I’ve personally never understood. I believe they show as an option in some catalogues, but why? Garrison nickelled and Field blackened seems a reasonable explanation?

The blackened officer’s helmets with Tombak fittings for the last raised Regiments 8 to 13, seem to make sense, as only JzP Regt. Nr.8 appears to have been issued JzP Metalhelme, the remaining issued Dragoner helmets in gilt.

I would love to find a JzP officers helmet to display with my JzP Regt 2 officers tunic. Haven’t been too lucky, always too late

I would love to find a JzP officers helmet to display with my JzP Regt 2 officers tunic. Haven’t been too lucky, always too late
Probably 2 to 3 pop-up on the market yearly. So you’ll find one with perseverance. I’ve been looking also for a JzP officer for a long time, but when I see one, it’s always after I just spent far too much money on a different horrifically expensive helmet. So with patience we’ll both find one someday.

I too suffer the torture of finding a wonderful item from my “must have” right after a major purchase. That or I’m too late.

Some pictures [Ritscher Militaria-Hamburg]...
-?Special finish?
-The Kaisers JzPf helmet [Huis Doorn] has the real special finish. [Larcade- Volume II]

Attachments

• 1664807444-2.jpg
    1664807444-2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 1664807444-3.jpg
    1664807444-3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 1664807444-4.jpg
    1664807444-4.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1664807444-1.jpg
    1664807444-1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 1664807444-0.jpg
    1664807444-0.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8278.jpeg
    IMG_8278.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8280.jpeg
    IMG_8280.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8281.jpeg
    IMG_8281.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thank you for this discussion. This is a question I’ve asked myself, too.

I’ve only one JzP. It came with box and some additional things.

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

Attachments

• C500B78C-A0DA-4E7C-8FBD-F965D9BACB3E.jpeg
    C500B78C-A0DA-4E7C-8FBD-F965D9BACB3E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 34A2DA6C-0A9F-496C-BFEB-52C9CFB283A1.jpeg
    34A2DA6C-0A9F-496C-BFEB-52C9CFB283A1.jpeg
    684.6 KB · Views: 28
Back