Jäger zu Pferd helmets for officers

J-L Larcade's Volume II-Chapter 5. Page 77: translation: "Kaiser Wilhem II’s personal Helmet: “Chef” of the Regiment Jäger zu Pferde “König” Nr 1 (Posen). The helmet shell is made of coppered steel, silver plated and treated (old-silver). The spikebase looks as if it is blackened as well. But: It might be normal silver oxidation. (Huis Doorn)"

good evening

as a reply I would like to add photo's of my officer JZP (nickel) with blackened chin scales (for those two specific regiments, forgot which ones) , and Enlisted Man's Mod 15 Kurassier and JZP (both blackened)

Attachments

• JZP M15 1.jpeg
    JZP M15 1.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 23
  • kurassier M15 3.jpeg
    kurassier M15 3.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 23
  • kurassier M15 2.jpeg
    kurassier M15 2.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 22
  • kurassier M15 1.jpeg
    kurassier M15 1.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 24
  • JZP officer 3.jpeg
    JZP officer 3.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 24
  • JZP officer 2.jpeg
    JZP officer 2.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 25
  • JZP officer 1.jpeg
    JZP officer 1.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 26
  • JZP M15 3.jpeg
    JZP M15 3.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 24
  • JZP M15 2.jpeg
    JZP M15 2.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 21
  • JZP M15 4.jpeg
    JZP M15 4.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 22
Thank you for this discussion. This is a question I’ve asked myself, too.
I’ve only one JzP. It came with box and some additional things.
J-L Larcade's Volume II-Chapter 5. Page 77: translation: "Kaiser Wilhem II’s personal Helmet: “Chef” of the Regiment Jäger zu Pferde “König” Nr 1 (Posen). The helmet shell is made of coppered steel, silver plated and treated (old-silver). The spikebase looks as if it is blackened as well. But: It might be normal silver oxidation. (Huis Doorn)"
Wot? My understanding was always that JzP officers had two choices, based on period German catalogues:
  1. Vernickelt (nickeled)
  2. Oxydirtem Stahlblech (black manganese parkerized)
Tonight I learn there was a third option? Would it be described as a nickeled helmet that has been chemically darkened? I always assumed these were tarnished helmets, but now I see they were a third option. Stunning. They seem to ‘glow’ like an oiled Luger.

Wot? My understanding was always that JzP officers had two choices, based on period German catalogues:
  1. Vernickelt (nickeled)
Tonight I learn there was a third option? Would it be described as a nickeled helmet that has been chemically darkened? I always assumed these were tarnished helmets, but now I see they were a third option. Stunning. They seem to ‘glow’ like an oiled Luger.
?Can it be a special piece-for the Kaiser Only?

1. Vernickelt (nickeled)
I believe the helmet of Emperor Wilhelm II. has a oxidated silver-plated finish, as Lacarde assumpted. On photos of Emperor Wilhelm II. in uniform of Jäger zu Pferd-Reg. Nr. 1 (Kaisermanöver 1913) he wore a silver and shiny helmet.
IMG_5373.jpeg
(Source: Extract from „Bild 136-C0094“ - https://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/db...1913&yearto=1913&query=kaiser+wilhelm&page=2#)

Last edited:
I don’t know if everybody knows it…if you sign in for free to the official German picture archive (follow the link in my post above) you are able to see the photos in high resolution (about 3k to 4k pc). There are many photos of the Kaisermanöver or HRM Wilhelm II.
It’s just for yourself, the photos are very expensive to use, but a very good source for our discussions.

Back