Johann Rinza

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I was given this grouping in the summer of 2013 by one of the relations of the Cdn vet who brought them home. The story is a familiar one, vet dies and family sets to clearing out his house for resale and discovers these items. I asked but got no answer, as to what outfit our Cdn soldier belonged to or his name. There was a Luger pistol as well but that was scooped by another relation. On one of the soldbuch pages it indicated that Rinza was issued with a Pistole 08 but this was later crossed out. The items were given to me because the family member knew I collect old military stuff. I hesitated for a bit to post this, I have no idea what happened to Johann, he was only 21 in 1944. I hope our guy took him prisoner and that he survived the war. The pictures:

The soldbuch was kept in a pocket size brown cardboard folder.

Next came a blue cloth page with particulars and foto.

The blue cloth cover wrapped around the soldbuch. I believe Johann was trained as a driver in a Luftwaffe flack unit.

The actual cover of the buch.

January 1st 1944, Corporal. Note Flieger is crossed out and changed to Kanonier

[
Lots of immunizations beginning in Aug 1942. This suggests he was 19 when he was signed up.

Lots of written and stamped Fallsch. Jg. entries which of course are German Paratroops.

EK 2 awarded June 10, 44. Granted to 2 leaves to go home to Frankfurt.

The other pieces in the grouping, including a flak badge, RAD pin and Eastern Front medal, all late war pot metal. I am not trained in German, I have absolutely no education in the language. So, I am quite prepared to be corrected on the assumptions made here about the buch entries. If a member could contribute corrections or add information it would be much appreciated. This grouping was sold at SOS 14 by me as I do not collect 3rd Reich, it was fascinating to study the entries though.

Yes, I had no problem selling the grouping, the proceeds helped pay for the pickelhauben and wappen that I bought at SOS 2014. The soldbuch was very cool but its out of my area of interest and you can't keep everything that comes your way.

Yes, Keith you have to set some sort of limits but it is hard...all these pieces are so compelling but this buch belongs in a WW 2 collection. I am still hoping that some of our German members can provide further information. For example, I know there is obviously a Fallshcrimjager connection here but I see him as a Luft flack gunner/driver attached to those Battalions not as an actual parachutist. The flack badge seems to confirm this as does the change in assignment from flieger to kanonier. I did check a website that deals strictly with soldbuchs and how to read them. I did learn some things there.

b.loree said:
Yes, Keith you have to set some sort of limits but it is hard...all these pieces are so compelling but this buch belongs in a WW 2 collection. I am still hoping that some of our German members can provide further information. For example, I know there is obviously a Fallshcrimjager connection here but I see him as a Luft flack gunner/driver attached to those Battalions not as an actual parachutist. The flack badge seems to confirm this as does the change in assignment from flieger to kanonier. I did check a website that deals strictly with soldbuchs and how to read them. I did learn some things there.

He could've done just about anything in an airborne unit (Fallshirmjager), but being changed from a Flieger (flier) to a Kanonier suggests he was on some sort of air crew. Evidently the Luftwaffe needed to use ground based anti-aircraft more as their fighter aircraft were destroyed. This happened all over the place. I had a (late) friend who was a US Artilleryman. During the 'Bulge', he was tanker and infantryman as well before going back to the guns, while another (an anti-tank gunner) was put on foot and never went back!

:D Ron

Back