Joining the Regiment as an Unteroffiziere

joerookery

Some time ago, Glenn showed an example of someone who earned his commission after serving as an Unteroffiziere and after having attended the main cadet Academy (Hauptkadettenanstalt HKA).

I scratched my head, and probably no one else besides Glenn and I really care. But boy have I figured it out. He failed the Fähnrich examination! This was not fatal, but rather had the effect of delaying promotion quite a while.

Remember you were supposed to have a Prima certificate (Primareifezeugnis) or dispensation to gain entry to the Fähnrich examination. 90% had a Prima Certificate. 75% passed the Fähnriche exam the first time. You could take it again and few if any failed the second time. If indeed they did fail the second time it was into the ranks as an OR or Unteroffiziere. In 1890 the Kaiser demanded leniency in grading. If leniency failed he used dispensations which totaled over 1000 between 1901 and 1912.
There were failures. In the year 1878 eight cadets failed the exam. All eight eventually were made Fähnrich and six of them earned their commission. Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron, failed the examination and was sent to the 1st Ulan Regiment as an Unteroffiziere. Eight months later he was made a Fähnrich and eventually was commissioned. This put his date of rank behind his classmates of 1911.

Sorry missed the original post.I know that was a rare thing in the Imperial Army. Were you refering to 1 specific case or the test ?
I am at a loss for the name of one other Unteroffizier that was commisioned .He wrote the Book With the German Guns and served in England in WW2 . i know thwere probably more but the latter was a more well documented one.
Zipperheads9

Back