JR 153 Restitch with a Twist!

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
This helmet is a very special one in many ways as we shall see. My work was pretty simple...restitch the rear visor and as my friend Tony S. would say.."Meh" no big deal. However, this one is clearly marked to JR 153 which in itself is rare but then, there is another rarity...a note identifying the CEF veteran who brought it home, plus where he picked it up. So let's take a look:
IMG_0271-L.jpg

The piece is totally M95 except for an M15 spike base, support disc and 4 M15 base pins. You can also see the separation of the visor from the shell. Note as well how that tin disc curves nicely over the brass rear spine.
IMG_0298-L.jpg

The markings: JR 153 1911, 36LR II B plus ink stamped G. So, originally a helmet issued to JR 153 in 1911 then given to Landwehr Regt. 36 2nd Batt plus the "G" tells us the helmet has had some work. In my opinion, that "G" explains why we have that M15 base on the helmet. Very recently, we had a post on the forum of soldaten who had obviously modified their helmet spikes to lower their profile in the field. They had uberzugs on them but there were obvious M95's with the spike top taken off plus M15's minus spike. Once I get home, I will post a brass spike base that I have which has no spike but the neck is capped off with solder. So...on we go to something even more special.
IMG_0301-L.jpg

Information taped to the liner, by the veteran who brought the helmet back from the War. We often see this on stahlhelms but seldom if ever on pickelhauben. The first line is obvious but the rest...Crothers... 14th Royal Montreal Batt. Montreal Canada. My next post will provide some additional information on Pvt. A.L. Crothers.

Some information on Arthur Lythe Crothers 18th Batt. CEF.
Born: Oct. 9, 1894 Lowell Mass. USA
Religion: Methodist
Previous Military Service: 53 Regt 6th Mass.
Date of Attestation: Dec 20, 1915 at Sherbrooke Quebec
Address; Lennoxville Que. Both parents were living here at date of attestation and his mother Effie was assigned $20/month by Arthur from his pay.
Physical Description: Height 5' 8", Blue eyes, Fair hair and Complexion. Missing half of thumb and tip of 2nd finger left hand from sawmill accident.
Arrived France, Dec 10/16. Taken on strength by the 14th Batt in France Dec. 14/16 assigned to 2nd Co.
Attached to 2nd CN Tunneling Co. Feb 12/17
Hospitalized April 2/17... 70th CN Field Ambulance with pleurisy. Returned to 2nd Tunneling Co. May 13/17. Departed France Mar. 12/19 and demobilized at Montreal Que April 12, 1919.

Arthur had measles and whooping cough as a child and bronchitis/pneumonia in 1915. Small wonder that he came down with pleurisy as a tunneler in France. The last address given for Arthur amongst his military paperwork is Enosburg Falls Mass. USA in 1919. Presumably he returned to the US and brought his souvenir helmet with him and thus the pickelhaube ends up in American collector hands. :thumb up:

Amazing on finding al that information on that man
Its another great restoration for you
Just hope that the label will not damage to mutch when you are sewing on the visors

Jonas

Information came from the Library and Archives in Ottawa CN. All of our WW1 records have been digitized and are available on line. No damage was done to that label and the helmet is back with it’s owner. Although Arthur and his parents were already living Quebec, Canadian Battalions made a concerted effort to enlist Americans from the nearest US cities. Battalion Bands were sent to such places as Detroit and Buffalo to drum up recruits.

b.loree said:
Information came from the Library and Archives in Ottawa CN. All of our WW1 records have been digitized and are available on line. No damage was done to that label and the helmet is back with it’s owner. Although Arthur and his parents were already living Quebec, Canadian Battalions made a concerted effort to enlist Americans from the nearest US cities. Battalion Bands were sent to such places as Detroit and Buffalo to drum up recruits.

Brian, do you got a Link where I can find these records? It sounds very interesting :)

Sandy.....type in Library and Archives Canada. WW2 records are not available unless you can prove the individual being researched, is deceased.

Back