JR 73 Officer's Helmet

These are the pics i have, let me know if theres anything else you'd like to see? Silk is very worn but I do like the ribbon and of course the stars are replacements (hence the modern nuts)
IMG_1427.JPEG
IMG_1428.JPEG
IMG_1429.JPEG
IMG_1430.JPEG

This is an interesting thread.

I wonder, Brian...,

One of the members hereasked about spraying on finishes.

Since spray painting and spray finishing came into being in the 1880s, could this system have been the type used by manufacturers after that date?

It seems like it would be a fairly simple process to brush-apply a base and filler coat, then spray and scuff the outer shell over and over between drying to get a fairly fast and shiny result.

Do you use a smaller hobby/model spray gun?

If not, and if this is a technique you might want to try, I would be happy to send you a helmet to try it out with.

I mean, cutting your refinishing time down would be good. Your finishes look great already, but spraying might give an equal or even better result with less effort.

Just a thought...

Bryan.

Thank you for the suggestion Bryan, I have considered an airbrush but so far have not invested in that and the compressor which also has to be bought. Then there is the issue of “spray fumes” and ventilation. I have watched many modeller videos on YouTube and seen how they do it. I simply use a brush to apply the multiple coats. I don’t even have to clean my brush as I simply soak it in thinner which softens it again and start an application. An air brush would have to be cleaned out after every use.
In some refinishing cases, I actually use the new finish to glue flakes of old finish back on to the shell. The brush is then used again to fill in the gaps between these flakes. I am using this technique at the moment to refinish a Prussian Arty. Officer helmet which belongs to Amy. She also sent me an M15 Garde tschako with a “bald” front visor. In this case I am simply filling in by brushing on multiple applications of finish. I will post “before “ and “after” photos of these pieces once I am done. Regards, Brian

Thanks.

Just a thought, but I am looking forward to seeing your efforts.

I have a few helmets, chinscales and a couple of sets of cuirass shoulder straps to rebuild over the next few months. I may try your method for shell finishing.

I will post my progress when I get started.

Bryan.

Brian is ABSOLUTELY the man!

Thank you Brian, and you can be sure that I will have your page on chinscale rebuilds open as I do my work!

Back