Kaiser Wilhelm II Kürassier Helme

Khukri

Both photographs were taken to illustrate the J-L. Larcade Volumes. Early 1980ies.
-in the November 1987 number of Uniformes this happened:
-The picture of the Kaiser's Kürassier "Königin" Nr.2 Helm was published on the cover instead of the intended picture of the Kaiser's Leib-Kürassier-Regiment Nr.1 helmet, as described in the magazine.
*Volume 2 on the Mounted Troops; page 24: The error was made in the page's layout: captions switched...and used that way on the magazines cover.
On the Kaiser's helmets:
-Today; the Leib-Kürassier-Regiment Nr.1 Helm is no longer kept in Huis Doorn. The Helm is now at the Burg Hohenzollern in Germany.
-The Kürassier Regiment "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2 helmet is kept at Huis Doorn.

Attachments

• received_13584327016tttttttttt65504 - kopie.jpeg
    received_13584327016tttttttttt65504 - kopie.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20231225_142810_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231225_142810_Gallery.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Both photographs were taken to illustrate the J-L. Larcade Volumes. Early 1980ies.
-in the November 1987 number of Uniformes this happened:
-The picture of the Kaiser's Kürassier "Königin" Nr.2 Helm was published on the cover instead of the intended picture of the Kaiser's Leib-Kürassier-Regiment Nr.1 helmet, as described in the magazine.
-Today; the Leib-Kürassier-Regiment Nr.1 Helm is no longer kept in Huis Doorn. The Helm is now at the Burg Hohenzollern in Germany.
-The Kürassier Regiment "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2 helmet is kept at Huis Doorn.
My Kaiser Wilhelm II display of 1 L K R 1
my single shoulder strap worn by Kaiser Wilhelm II of K R 2
Kaiser Wilhelm II 's 1L K R 1 helmet and cartridge box when at Haus Doorne in the 1980's
next and last the K R 2 Waffenrock of Kaiser Wilhelm II when at the "surplus / overrun / not on display at Rastatt in K R 2  K W II  Rastatt 2006.jpeg2006
I was also allowed to go to the other building and see some of the material not of public display
1LKR! K W I I.jpeg
K R 2  K W I I.jpeg
Steve1 L K R 1  KWII Dress hat and shoulder straps.JPG

Deux merveilles. (avec le KR6, le GdC et le GKR) Tous différents du KR standard.

My KR1 :
KR1 89-94 Adler 03 450€ Soissons.JPG
KR1 1E 95 BIBI.JPG

My KR2 :
KR2 M89-94 aigle M67 Bibi.JPG

On 14 August 1914, during the invasion of Belgium, the KR2 charged "sabre forward" as in the Napoleonic era. It was decimated by machine gun cyclists at the battle of Halen (near Liège). This battle (of which there is still a museum and the military cemetery) was called the Battle of the Silver Helmets, because the ground was littered with 2KR helmets.

For information, here is the M43 of this regiment. Created as the "Queen's" cuirassier in 1819, it wore the traditional headband of the Battle of Hohenfriedberg from 1843. (Archives photo)
KR2 0ff M43 Z1-.GIF

Last edited:
Deux merveilles. (avec le KR6, le GdC et le GKR) Tous différents du KR standard.

My KR1 :
View attachment 40234
View attachment 40240

My KR2 :
View attachment 40232

On 14 August 1914, during the invasion of Belgium, the KR2 charged "sabre forward" as in the Napoleonic era. It was decimated by machine gun cyclists at the battle of Halen (near Liège). This battle (of which there is still a museum and the military cemetery) was called the Battle of the Silver Helmets, because the ground was littered with 2KR helmets.

For information, here is the M43 of this regiment. Created as the "Queen's" cuirassier in 1819, it wore the traditional headband of the Battle of Hohenfriedberg from 1843. (Archives photo)
View attachment 40241

The Kürassier Regiment "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2 had the Banderolle "Hohenfriedberg 4.Juni 1745"on their helmets. This banderolle/scroll was installed in 1845; for the centenary of the Battle.
-This Regiment's shiny metal helmets lend the name to "The Battle of the Silver Helmets"
12th August 1914. At Halen: in the East of Belgium.
-Our book is re-edited in April 2024. Paperback. Amazon.

Attachments

• A1RA+gWOObL._AC_SL1500_ (1).jpg
    A1RA+gWOObL._AC_SL1500_ (1).jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Gentlemen: indeed three special Kürassier helmets. Next to the GdC/G Kü. The Leib-Kürassier-Regiment. The Kürassier Regiment "Königin" and the Kürassier-Regiment „Kaiser Nikolaus I. von Russland“ (Brandenburgisches) Nr. 6...
-thank you!
Fine helmets from fine collections!

My KR1 :
View attachment 40234
View attachment 40240

My KR2 :
View attachment 40232

View attachment 40241
Clovis! Thank you for sharing. Fine Mannsch helmets! Would like to compare your and mine Leib-Kürassier-Regiment Helm. Can you show how the liner band is attached to the shell (attachments next to the sideposts)? Do you see a makers mark in the visor's trim? In my helmet visor trim the "C.E. Juncker" is just readable! Dated 1902. No extra holes to the front of the shell [for the older Linien Kürassier Adler Wappen].

Last edited:
Clovis! Thank you for sharing. Fine Mannsch helmets! Would like to compare your and mine Leib-Kürassier-Regiment Helm. Can you show how the liner band is attached to the shell (attachments next to the sideposts)? Do you see a makers mark in the visor's trim? In my helmet visor trim the "C.E. Juncker" is just readable! Dated 1902. No extra holes to the front of the shell [for the older Linien Kürassier Adler Wappen].
Good questions Khukri, thank you. I'll be happy to answer them. ;)
---Concerning the attachment of the liner, all my schell from KR or JzPf have rivets with 2 folding tabs 1 to 1.5cm back behind the circle in strong leather, or large felt. (This applies to my M60, 62, 67, 89, 89/94 and even 1915).
The only exception is my Lachmann M15 from GKR.
For your information, here's a photo of 2 post-sides, for schell de Kurassier M94. They're massive, with a riveted pin behind the hull; then the rivet is soldered on with tin.
Tourillons KUR. a souder.JPG
So the side posts only exist to attach the half-jugulars to each side. The liner is fixed by 2 rivets (square or rectangular heads most often, but sometimes round as on mine), located behind the 2 side posts. There's also an identical rivet at the front, behind the front plate, just above the visor, and a rear rivet, the head of which is under the first edge of the lobster tail.
Below, the welded post-side, and the rectangle drilled for the liner clip. (archive photo).
Kuir-Jzp    M94Soudé.JPG
P1010079.JPG
So only my Lachmann has one side-post per side. No rivet, behind the side-post in this case :
Kur M15 Lachmann fix coiffe.GIF

---With regard to the manufacturer's markings, mine are also marked on the hemmed edge of the visor. But there's nothing special about this manufacturer, as Clemen used to do the same on leather infantry helmets.
Note on the manufacturer's mark on the KR and JzPf schell: M60 to M89 were not marked, as far as I've been able to see. The M89/94 may be. Only the M15 schells are marked and dated, at the bottom of the hull (Juncker, Nachzigall, Israël etc...).
---The M1902 eagle is mounted in the 2 original holes of the old Linien-Kurassier eagle.P1010080.JPG
---The M1902 eagle is mounted in the 2 original holes of the old Linien-Kurassier eagle.
P1010081.JPG
Note not included :
My helmet has two remarkable originalities:
---The brass edge U is nickel-plated, as are the lobster tail rivets.
---The liner is not a rounded wolf's tooth,
but square.
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Attachments

• P1010081.JPG
    P1010081.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • P1010080.JPG
    P1010080.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Tourillons KUR. a souder.JPG
    Tourillons KUR. a souder.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The Kürassier Regiment "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2 had the Banderolle "Hohenfriedberg 4.Juni 1745"on their helmets. This banderolle/scroll was installed in 1845; for the centenary of the Battle.-This Regiment's shiny metal helmets lend the name to "The Battle of the Silver Helmets"12th August 1914. At Halen: in the East of Belgium.-Our book is re-edited in April 2024. Paperback. Amazon.
Thank you Khukri, (y)
In fact, I bought my KR2 many years ago, at a flea market in Liège, when I was visiting Belgian and Dutch Limburg. It is then, that I discovered the history of the battle of the silver helmets, and the history of this regiment.

Back