Kaiserjäger

Glennj

Not explicitly German but a wonderful new addition to my library. The latest offering from Militaria Verlag titled "The Tyrolean Kaiserjäger: History, Uniforms, Equipment and Upholding Traditions from 1816 until Today". This arrived yesterday from Vienna and is of course up to the usual very high standard expected from this publisher.

On my many visits to the Kaiserjäger Museum at Bergisel in Innsbruck, I marvelled at the wonderful portraits of regimental commanders and generals and cursed that I could not get any quality photographs of the pictures hanging on the walls! Many of these have now been reproduced and included in this 505 page history. I have waited a long time for this and am not disappointed.

Picture of the German language edition cover (mine is in English) and a example of a regimental commander (Hermann Roschatt).

Verlag Militaria

Regards
Glenn

pp0001.jpg

Roschatt.JPG

Thanks for the review it sounds wonderful and can't wait till I get my copy (y), I'm getting this one and the new German Mountain troops book for Christmas from my wife. She won't buy me Militaria but feels books are worthwhile, hey I'll take that as a victory. ;)
Regards John Josef

Thanks for the review it sounds wonderful and can't wait till I get my copy (y), I'm getting this one and the new German Mountain troops book for Christmas from my wife. She won't buy me Militaria but feels books are worthwhile, hey I'll take that as a victory. ;)
Regards John Josef
The books from Militaria Verlag are a very good investment in knowledge!
I have several of their publications.

The books from Militaria Verlag are a very good investment in knowledge!
I have several of their publications.

I totally agree, I have them all. I always ask for them as Gifts from my wife for special occasions. Its my way around her not buying anything for my Militaria collection. I was however able to talk her into buying a pocket watch from 1914 while in Germany on vacation. That will also be a Christmas gift this year. Can't wait (y)(y)

She will only buy what she considers practical gifts and more items for the War Room don't make the cut. :cry:

Lucky for me the pocket watch still works and I will be using it for sure, its steel wartime manufacture (y)

I'll add this one to my list! Militaria Verlag make exceedingly excellent reference books.

I have a soft spot for the Tiroler Kaiserjäger/Kaiserschutzen, and share your fondness for that museum (and the nearby Museum der Tiroler Kaiserschutzen, which I think longer exists). When I was there last I had the good fortune to find a nice copy of the TKJ wartime regimental history - the high mountain war in that region is one of the more incredible tales to come out of the Great War.

KJ1.jpg

Almost forgot about the little stamp they provided if you bought the books on-site!

KJ2.jpg

I'm getting this one and the new German Mountain troops book for Christmas from my wife.

John,

I inspected a copy on my recent trip to the Bundesheer library in Potsdam. They received a copy whilst I was there. Great stuff, with some wonderful photographs and also some very nice Friedrich Ludwig Scharf uniform prints of Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 14. I took a few scans in the library.

One of the captions did perplex me. It is a picture of the commanding officer of the Württemberg-Gebirgs-Bataillon, Major Theodor Sproesser, talking to what appears to be a veteran of the war of 1870-71 in the uniform of an Ulanen field officer. The caption says he is General Loeb. He is not General Loeb. In fact it would have been impossible for Robert Loeb who was not of noble rank to be the holder of Johanniter Order which was awarded to Protestant noblemen. I have yet to identify the old boy.

Regards
Glenn

Sproesser Theodor.jpg

have a soft spot for the Tiroler Kaiserjäger/Kaiserschutzen, and share your fondness for that museum (and the nearby Museum der Tiroler Kaiserschutzen, which I think longer exists).

Jeff,

I think I first visited Innsbruck in about 2000 and the Kaiserschützen Museum was already closed. Fortunately Verlag Militaria's book on the Kaiserschützen contains much of the collection from there. It was my holidays in the Tyrol that sparked my interest in the Austro-Hungarian Army. I also own a copy of the Tiroler Kaiserjäger im Weltkrieg. The two volume large work is awesome. I managed to pick them up over twenty years ago.

Regards
Glenn

TJK.jpeg

Back