Kammerstuck KD89 Cavalry Sabers 17HR and 1JzP

cptbob

These are the 2 KD89's I have that have matching numbers on the guard and scabbard. One is marked 17.H.4.108. (1891) and the other 1.RJP1.104.(1903)

IMG_9825.JPG
IMG_9826.JPG
IMG_9844.JPG
IMG_9831.JPG
IMG_9833.JPG

Great looking pair of kammerstuck sabers, congratulations! :thumb up: =D>

It seems like we see 100+ "extra" sabers before we see 1-kammerstuck example. These are very difficult to find.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Neil Young said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is Kammerstuck?

Literally a 'depot piece'. It refers to equipment issued by the Army as opposed to a private purchase

I have one of these marked to the 8th Hussars but no markings on scabbard.
Regarding the private purchase sabres could they be brought with or without the blued blade pannels ?.

Attachments

• P1050841.jpg
    P1050841.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 816
  • P1050842.JPG
    P1050842.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 816
katana said:
Regarding the private purchase sabres could they be brought with or without the blued blade pannels ?.

Yes. Very common to see plain bright plated blades.

katana said:
Nice! Is the spine of the blade marked with a date? Who is the manufacturer? The scabbard is the older pattern, before they went to 1 ring (can't remember the exact year but sometime after 1900). I love the look of these swords with the long yelman to form a spear point and the big bell-handle with the state arms. Love the Hussar markings!

cptbob said:
katana said:
Nice! Is the spine of the blade marked with a date? Who is the manufacturer? The scabbard is the older pattern, before they went to 1 ring (can't remember the exact year but sometime after 1900). I love the look of these swords with the long yelman to form a spear point and the big bell-handle with the state arms. Love the Hussar markings!

The spine has a 91 mark and the maker is P.D. luneschloss.

What makes a Kammerstuck saber different from other sabers--The stamped unit mark? I have a combat saber that is marked to the 1.R.J.P.2.86. It has a struck out mark 14.U.61.

Hi Neil,

The first picture has 3 dress swords and 1 issued weapon (3rd down). You can see that the handle, guard and blade are a lot bigger. Also the curl at the end of the guard will go over almost 180 degrees. The dress swords usually don't go much past 90 degrees. The dress swords are pretty much all different sizes. You can lay any issued weapon on top of another and they will be almost exactly the same.

IMG_9599.JPG

The issued weapons had the big pipe-back blades with a long yelman (sharpened top edge) that forms a spear point (probably for thrusting)

IMG_9826.JPG

There will always be an acceptance mark and date on the spine as well as proof marks. The manufacture on the left side (as you look down from top)

IMG_9934.JPG

There will also be several other proof marks on the handle
IMG_9936.JPG

Some of the dress swords I own have unit designations stamped on the guard (and sometimes scabbard). I'm wondering if these are reservistika that they got stamped to match the weapon they were issued.

Cheers!
Bob

Back