Kaptainleutenant Otto Eduard Weddigen

Nickc

Patriotic postcards were produced both as moral boosters and charity revenue generators, obviously postcards and photographs were created to celebrate people or people and victories.

Kaptainleutenant Otto Eduard Weddigen shot to fame when on 22 September, 1914 Weddigen sank no fewer the 3 British cruisers HMS Aboukir, Hogue and Cressy in less than an hour.

u9.jpg

Weddigen had less then six months left; when in command of U29 off the coast of Scotland and in a moment of brutal irony, on the 29th March 1915 U29 was rammed and split in two by HMS Dreadnought. There were no survivors from U29; the only kill HMS Dreadnought ever had was U29

Nice! He was every bit as popular as von Richthofen, but pop culture didn't keep his legacy alive for various reasons.
Perfect timing. I'm making a model of the SM U.9 right now. (1/72 scale Das Werk)

Nice! He was every bit as popular as von Richthofen, but pop culture didn't keep his legacy alive for various reasons.
Perfect timing. I'm making a model of the SM U.9 right now. (1/72 scale Das Werk)
I look forward to seeing that.

wedd02.jpg

wedd3.jpg

wedd5.jpg

More patriotic postcards of Weddigen, the last card is a fundraiser where the cards cost 10 pfg, 3 pfg went to charity.

I have a photograph of him and his wife taken in December 1914 but of course I can't find it, along with a newspaper, postcards of the picture from the newspaper. We were going to move so some things have been packed, we still are one day.

I have always thought it strrange that he died and almost immediately dropped off the radar with little mention of his death.

Last edited:
Back