Kgl. Sächs. 2. Pionier-Batl. Nr.22 Is it rare?

butch007

Hello Guys, can anyone tell me if a Saxon Pioneer/Reserve Haub is rare, I have one and have never noted anyothers on sites. Its a Kgl. Sächs. 2. Pionier-Batl. Nr.22
The number stamp is impressed into the rear visor and very hard to see due to the age effects, slight shrinkage of the skull and one lug missing from the plate,See photo's attatched, I believe that this is an original helmet, please correct me if Im wrong.View attachment 1

Many thanks,

Well, a Pioneer battalion is more rare than infantry, but I personally don't know about Saxon units. It looks like somebody used black liquid shoe polish or something similar on the helmet (judging by the streaks on the metal from it), which wouldn't help the value, but not a bad helmet overall.

:D Ron

Thanks for the reply, Yes some black streaks/ marks, from parade gloss boot polish , about twenty years ago. I think i can clean those off carefully.

Cheers.

I really love this one!! =D>
Please please, could you post some more picts of the markings and of the inside? [-o<
Saxon pionier helmets are quite scarce, and saxon reserve pionier even scarcer! Never saw one.
Such a Mannschaft saxon haube, well marked with silver fittings (R100, PB12, PB22 or 7. / 8. Kompanie Eisenbahn Regiment 2 ) is on the very first place of my PHL (personal hunting list)... :D
Would be proud to own such a helmet!

Philippe

Phillippe, is that a hint? :p I didn't know how rare Saxon Pioneer helmets were, so I guess you cleared that up!

:D Ron

argonne said:
I really love this one!! =D>
Please please, could you post some more picts of the markings and of the inside? [-o<
Saxon pionier helmets are quite scarce, and saxon reserve pionier even scarcer! Never saw one.
Such a Mannschaft saxon haube, well marked with silver fittings (R100, PB12, PB22 or 7. / 8. Kompanie Eisenbahn Regiment 2 ) is on the very first place of my PHL (personal hunting list)... :D
Would be proud to own such a helmet!

Philippe

Hi Philippe, I cannot send more photos at present as I am in the Military and on course, away.
However, It has PB 22 impressed on the left hand side of the rear visor, hard to read without good light as the liner and rear visors were effected by red rot before I received the helmet from an old aunt, it was brought back with a 1915 Prussian line helmet by her Husband at the end of WW1., I have both, since I was much younger.
the fromt visor has a Kompanie insciption underneath, when I return home I will look closely, this was hand written by the look of it, Kompanie ---------?, could aslo be the name Frederich?, No stamps or marks inside the skull.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Colin

Back