Kriegsdenkmünze für Kämpfer

SkipperJohn

In addition to the Iron Cross instituted on 10 March 1813, Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm III wanted a medal issued to honor all of the combatants who served in the War of Liberation between 1813 and 1815. The Eiserne Kreuz was awarded for bravery (Courage and Commitment) whereas the Kriegsdenkmünze für Kämpfer (War Memorial for Fighters) was issued to all combatants who served the Kaiser during the War of Liberation (Befreiungskriege) against Napoleon. The only prerequisites were service in combat during the period 1813 through 1815 and faithful service with no offenses or excesses during the fighting.
The medal came in seven versions:

1) 1813, 1813/1814, and 1814 with curved cross arms and 1813, 1813/1814, and 1814 with squared cross arms. The curved cross arms are often referred to as "Paris versions" and the squared cross arms are referred to as "Berlin versions". The Berlin type are thought to be replacement medals or late production to be issued to those who didn't initially receive the earlier version. All of these medals were instituted on 24 December 1813.

2) 1815 with squared arms. No record of an 1815 with curved arms exists. Apparently all versions of this medal had squared arms after 1815. This medal was instituted on 30 October 1815.

The 1813/1814 version: OEK# 1913

RKBzS9t.jpg

The 1814 version: OEK# 1916

ebu1vvo.jpg

The 1815 version: OEK# 1914

rWD51LC.jpg

The reverse of all versions of this medal were identical. Written on the reverse was "Gott war mit uns, Ihm sey die Ehre!" (God was with us, Him be the honor!) and in the center was written "Preußens tapfern Kriegern" (Prussian brave warriors).

4e9xiTb.jpg

On the edge was written "AUS EROBERTEM SCHÜTZ" (FROM CAPTURED CANNON).

f2qCeGA.jpg

I'm still working on completing the set, but I've got a good start.

minxeCd.jpg

John :)

Hello John,

Nice ones! I just got one from my girlfriend, it looks almost the same but it was for the french prussian war in 1870. (Black white and red ribbon) do you know that one? I was asking myself if they had a kriegsdenkmunze for the wars with denmark and austria.

Best regards,

Miguel

Miguel,
I believe that the medal you described is this one:

Yes they do have medals for the War with Denmark and with Austria.
Look at this website: http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a critical website for German medal collectors.

Were there many of these medals produced ?
Is there a know number of production ?
I collect I G flags and their parts .
I think there were only about 50 + Batls.
that were awarded the 1813 Grand Cross of the Iron Cross
pole top for their flags .
A good number of those were looted by the Russians
at the end of WW II and taken back to Moscow
to be trooped in their Victory Parade .
That is a very rare pole top .
I collect the 1870/ 71 K D M streamers for the flags
that were carried during the Franco -Prussian War
when I can find them . Each one is different
as they carry clasps with the names of the battles
that the Regt. / Batl. was in .

Thanks
Steve

KAGGR#1 said:
Were there many of these medals produced ?
Is there a know number of production ?
I collect I G flags and their parts .
I think there were only about 50 + Batls.
that were awarded the 1813 Grand Cross of the Iron Cross
pole top for their flags .
A good number of those were looted by the Russians
at the end of WW II and taken back to Moscow
to be trooped in their Victory Parade .
That is a very rare pole top .
I collect the 1870/ 71 K D M streamers for the flags
that were carried during the Franco -Prussian War
when I can find them . Each one is different
as they carry clasps with the names of the battles
that the Regt. / Batl. was in .

Thanks
Steve

I cannot find any information on production numbers of either the Napoleonic Medals or the Franco-Prussian War Medals. Since they were basically a campaign medal, given to all who served, I would assume they were produced in the thousands.

Back