Kürassier Helmet liners.

Khukri

Gentlemen,
-I would like to know/learn how the liner "band" was attached to the helmet shell of the Kürassier Helmet....
*More specifically*: behind the Knopf sideposts/hidden by the Kokarden...
-Does it depend on the maker? Or the year of production?...
-Thank you for your expertise!
Francis

Francis, I see no one has replied to your inquiry, and it has been several months. I own five Kurassier and ten Jaeger zu Pferde helmets, so I'll give it a go. These helmet liners are attached to the helmet shell via a small t-shaped brad that fit neatly through holes in the side and front of these helmets, and one t-shaped brad was soldiered to the back of the helmet specifically to hold the liner in place. From what I've seen JzP helmets prior to 1915 had a copper brad, and 1915 and beyond had a steel brad. These were like the split pins on the later steel helmets, but were smaller.

You are correct; they were under the knopf sideposts, and were hidden by the kokarden. I've not seen a difference in the t-shaped brads by maker; only the year of production as noted previously.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Francis, I see no one has replied to your inquiry, and it has been several months. I own five Kurassier and ten Jaeger zu Pferde helmets, so I'll give it a go. These helmet liners are attached to the helmet shell via a small t-shaped brad that fit neatly through holes in the side and front of these helmets, and one t-shaped brad was soldiered to the back of the helmet specifically to hold the liner in place. From what I've seen JzP helmets prior to 1915 had a copper brad, and 1915 and beyond had a steel brad. These were like the split pins on the later steel helmets, but were smaller.

You are correct; they were under the knopf sideposts, and were hidden by the kokarden. I've not seen a difference in the t-shaped brads by maker; only the year of production as noted previously.

I hope this helps.

Tim
Francis, I must correct myself; as you stated, the liner brads were inserted behind the knopf sideposts, hidden by the kokaraden. I have attached a photo of my most recent project to illustrate your point.

Attachments

• L Blued C.E. Juncker 1915 8 JzP.jpg
    L Blued C.E. Juncker 1915 8 JzP.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 11
Back