Kürassier Opinions

SkipperJohn

What are your opinions on this:

I think it could be an original helmet with a fake Wappen. The liner is also highly suspect; however, I have seen similar period liners in Kürassier helmets before, especially C.E. Junckers. The Kokarden are fake, but the chinstrap may be an original.
I am not at all interested in this piece. I'm just soliciting opinions.

John

The shell looks original, but the rest looks fake. As a clear attempt has been made to age the Wappen, I don't trust the liner either, somehow too rounded around the folding edge.

Regards,

Lars

I tend to agree. It looked like a possible restoration project, but it is overpriced for that.
I don't really consider replacing fake parts with original parts a "restoration". To me that is more of a "correction". The helmet is not modified, only brought back to original.
I think we have all bought helmets that needed an original Kokarde or Wappen, but the price was right so we waited and searched for the part we needed. Not really a restoration.
The parts needed to bring this back would make this project expensive.
Thanks for your opinion.

John

John,

I see a possible good shell and a possible good spike but better photos would be required. The liner is from a French helmet so someone attempted a fixer upper. I concur with your assessment. Too much for a fixer upper.

John

Back