Kulmer Infanterie-Regiment Nr.141 armed with ...

drakegoodman

Muskets? :???:

4117348640_2347c2ea2d_b.jpg

Original size

Dated 6.11.15 with postage cancelled at Graudenz.

What a great picture! I saw single soldiers posing with muskets before which I believed to be photographer props but never an entire unit. These do not resemble Prussian patterns and different models are also mixed, so I would assume they were used for exercising until equipment could be provided.

Is there any mentioning of their current situation in the writing?

There are numerous pictures of soldiers with original M71 rifles, reflecting the dramatic production shortfall during 1914 and 1915. But muskets are really far out .

Thanks Robert.

I initially thought the longer rifles were M71s - until I enlarged the picture. I'll scan the reverse and upload it for your perusal later today. Unfortunately I only speak two languages (English and Rubbish) and rely on the good nature of a couple of Deutsche chaps on flickr to translate for me, so I can't reveal anything from the correspondence on reverse.

Training aides is a good supposition though. I'll run with that until proven otherwise.

Regards,

- Brett

Hi drakegoodman,

thanks for this great photo. My greatgreatgrandfather fights at the Kulmer Infanterieregiment 141. He was killed in action, at the 4. Sep. 1916, near Chaulnes, Somme, France.

If you find a little bit more informations, at the backside of the card.

Thanks from Germany, Maik :D

It's a really interesting picture, not only we see those muskets in it, but also look at the helmet plates...
There are 3 (or maybe 4) different types of helmets in use and the wappen doesn't fit very well to the helmet in almost every case. Don't we all want pickelhauben with plates that fit like a glove?
Makes one think about it...

Adler

Back