Landsturm group wearing Landwehr AND Jäger Tschakos

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
One would expect that everyone in the same unit would wear the same type of helmet plate; Joe has posted some photos before that seem to refute this. Here is a Landsturm example. 16 of them are wearing M1860 Tschako with the old Landwehr cross Wappen, while 6 of them wear the M1860 Tschako with the original Jäger chickens. The question though: are the Tschakos with the Landwehr cross Wappens old Landwehr Tschakos that were retired in 1881 when the Landwehr adopted the Pickelhaube? Or were all these Tschakos in this photo old Jäger Tschakos retired as the M1888 and M1895 Tschakos replaced them, and they just did not have enough Landwehr cross Wappen to convert them all?

Landsturm_tschakos.jpg

Landsturm_tschakos2.jpg

I see my favorite automatic re-sizing code is still in place, so here is the link to the larger photo that has not been smashed down to 450 pixels wide. http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/Landsturm_tschakos.jpg

One thing is always certain with Landsturm / Landwehr headgear, there never seems to be a cut and dried answer. Very clear and interesting photo. It was a nice touch that the two fellas with the shoulder swallows(?) each have different wappen. Thanks for the link, the larger format is great.

Now that is a fine photo! I don't have any kind of answer to your clear question. However, I will see your question and raise it. These guys are obviously from something 39. What is it? Are they from Battalion 39? Are they from brigade 39? Based on the date on the sign I assume it is brigade 39. But how can you tell? Similar pictures from 1916 and 1915 confuse the hell out of me. Anybody have any clue how to tell?

PS in all fairness there is no similar picture that I have seen. The mixed Wappen is just so cool. However, it is still not my vote for the picture of the year. The Shako with double holes still holds that position in my mind.

Back