Landwehr - Reservist Crosses

kaiserzeit

Greetings all!

When we look at the Prussian Landwehr/Reservist cross - "mit Gott für König und Vaterland" - how many different sizes were there?

I have one that is roughly 32 mm. x 28 mm (hor. x vert.) which I think was the more or less "standard" size for line regiments.

Did heavy cavalry reservists use a bigger one?

Was a smaller one used in conjunction with the Garde star?

What about for helmets with smaller badges? Jaeger/Machinegewehr? Uhlan et al?

How about the wee one we see on the hussar's feldzeichen on this page's title banner?

Were their anchor wires more commonly North - South or were they sometimes East - West or even using four wires.

I know there will always be exceptions to mess with our heads.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Laurie

Most authors stay clear of reserve stuff because it is too hard and not as well documented as active stuff.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/ReserveCrosses.htm

One of my favorite subjects! I am part way through writing an article on the attachment of landwehr crosses to the wappen. As you said there are a million variations on a theme.

In general, I think the target cross size was 25 mm square. They seem to have varied quite a bit. I have recently seen one as large as 30 mm square and the way smaller 20 mm jobs.

While not an exact science the two pictured below show you a 25 mm and a 20 mm in scale along a Prussian chicken tail. The article at the link should give you an idea of some of the differences I found early in some different states crosses. Hope this helps.
cross.jpg
cross.jpg

Hi Laurie and Joe!
Hey Joe, you mentioned your article. Did you say a while back that you wanted a shot of the reverse of that Baden Rgt.109 EM star with reserve cross that I have? If you recall the griffon was knackered so I took it off - it has four prongs to attache the cross to the star.

Back