latest find : Helmet cover for JzP (EM)

Hi gentlemen, helmet covers are now getting quite popular, there's still a lot to write on them, I followed an interesting blog on this forum about covers, very instructive, I learnt a lot, here's my latest find, I found a Tshako one at the 2009 SoS, I'm now tracking a Kurassier or Husar one, starting saving :-(

please leave your comments, anyone has a kurassier one, to compare the shape of the loabster tail ?

http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/stephane_avesnes/Jager%20zu%20pferde%20and%20cover/

merry Xmas to you, Steve (France)

Steve incredable cover, that one is on my hit list as is a Kurrasier cover.

Congrats on a great find.

Alos, the helmet is nice too :D

James

Excellent, Stephane! The set below came together and was never cleaned.
Picture073.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg

Picture076-1.jpg

Picture080.jpg

stephane_avesnes said:
please leave your comments, anyone has a kurassier one, to compare the shape of the loabster tail ?

Great find. Congratulations. I know I cannot compete with Bruno's obscene Jzp above, but here is an officer's, no manufacturer's or size markings of any kind.

dbe35.jpg

dbe35a.jpg

Hi guies, good to see other samples, Bruno's one is indeed from the same maker and has the same markings from the 8Th regiment, I knew another complete set had come up and I suppose that's the one, it's even in better condition than mine, very nice complete set ! I suppose it hasn't any leather part inside the spike ? To go further and deeper in the covermania, who would have or know an enlisted man Kurassier helmet cover ? I've seen only 2 of them so far, they were from the same maker and had the same markings as well but obviously they were fake, I'm not 100% sure but the material and markings looked quite peculiar. I have one in my collection, unmarked, I have some doubt about it being original, despite the fact that I got it for cheap, the man saying that this came from his grand-mother estate in the Ardennes, the cover is hand-made and not finished, giving the impression that it's a locally made artefact. My grand mother actually worked for the Germans in ww1, she was born in 1900 and was required for compulsory civil duty every Saturday .... but I did not find any cover in her realestate when she died, at 89 years old ! Another call : who would have an EM busby cover, marked ? again merry Xmas ... Steve

Tony, this tight-fitting Ueberzug is very nice. I tried to guess what is underneath but I am not quite sure...
Steve, yes there is a leather cone reinforcing the spike cover.

Bruno's cover is very interesting since... it's different ! Look at the rear part, it has not the same lateral waves, therefore it could fit either a JzP or a Kurassier, as Jean-Louis Larcade states in his 2nd book, same model for Jzp and Kurassiers. If you compare with mine, you clearly see that the lobster tail is really typical to the JzP, I mean that it fits the specific shape of the JzP lobster tail, which makes it impossible to mount on a Kurassier helmet. There are 2 conclusions to this observation: first, I don't need to look anymore for a Kurassier cover to compare it, since Bruno's cover is from my point of view a JzP/Kurassier cover. Second conclusion, my cover was specificaly made by and for a jzP regiment, probable in contradiction with the official rules. I'll try tomorrow to take some more pics of the cover... other question : did anyone see a cavalry cover with number ? After August, 15Th 1914, all units except Guard units should have worn green numbers... These 2 covers, both marked after JzP R 8 and dated 1915 should wear a green 8 if they were used before October 1916...

did anyone see a cavalry cover with number

On my to-do list today is to look at the cavalry pictures in the new Krauss book. Off the top of my head I can only think of one. It is a dragoon picture from Hesse.

d24.jpg

There are other pictures of cavalry covers in that article but no markings.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Uberzug.htm

I had an interesting look. There were lots and lots of
Bavarian Chev... with numbers. lots of Ulan.
Num%E9riser0001.jpg

and there were a few Hussar.

No Jaeger and no Kurr. with numbers.

Hi Joe, very interesting indeed, it seems that Kurassiers and JzP units did not take into account the 1914 August, 15Th directives imposing the green number on helmet cover. As you said, dragoons and ulans did so. I would like to know the color of the number .... On your dragoon pic, Dragoon regiment 24, it seems that some have green number and one red number.... I have astonishly a ulan cover with red number .... ! Concerning the Kurassier and JzP, the fact that they did no wear number could be due to the fact that there was no risk to confuse them with other units ? another mistery in the pickelhaube history !
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THE FORUM MEMBERS AND VISITORS !

Back