Latest Project

kellerrat

Well I`m expecting my first delivery of "metal rescue" tomorrow. The web site makes some fantastic claims for this stuff and seems to have the pictures to back it up.
Apparently it removes rust from just about anything, without damaging paint, fabrics etc etc. Sounds to good to be true to me but I`m dying to give it a go. And here is what I`m going to give it a go on. Some of you may have seen this item on ebay, an Austrian M16 in poor condition. I figured it would be a good test for this wonder stuff, so Im going to hold my breathe and just dump the whole thing in a bucket of this stuff for 48 hours and walk away!
Honest I am..I`m going to resist the temptation to rush back and check it every five minutes, the whole thing is going in as is in the name of science.
I will post some more before and after pics regardless of the results. I only hope I wont be crying while I take the after pics :-({|=

austrianh.jpg

Andy

Ok..so maybe I will only leave it for an hour to start with!

Wow, that represents a challenge indeed. Good luck and I'm looking forward for the "after" pics :D

Regards,

Edwin

Well to be honest, the biggest challenge for me will be leaving it alone Edwin. Im hoping the wonder stuff will do the work for me. I have my doubts, but we will see.

Andy

Still waiting for the helmet to arrive, but the stuff works on painted tins with a sort of WOW!!! effect. Soon as it arrives I will take some before pics, then Ill take the plunge :eek:

A word of caution about "metal rescue" and other rust removers such as "Evap-o-Rust". These products are quite effective for removing rust from ferrous metals. However, do not use them on blued surfaces (firearms, Jaeger zu Pferde helmets, etc.) as the solution will quickly and completely strip the blue finish as well as the rust.

Yes, so I`ve heard and also something about zinc I believe? After trying all the usual stuff though (electrolysis, oxalic acid etc etc) so far I`m very impressed with the results on painted metals. Does it do similar damage to parkerised items?

Thanks for that, I did have a project in mind, but I guess I will shelve that one. Still very impressed with the tins at the moment..looking better and better with time.

Great tips guys; thanks!

What would be the best way to remove rust from grey oxydized metal fittings (e.g. Pickelhaube M15 Wappen) then?

Great tips guys; thanks!

What would be the best way to remove rust from grey oxydized metal fittings (e.g. Pickelhaube M15 Wappen) then?

Well I was hoping that this stuff would do the trick, but Im not really sure now, as it also acts on zinc I believe.

I have used stuff called "brick mate" on grey wappen, to remove rust. I don`t know what it would be called in the States. It contains two different acids and needs to be diluted with water.
Before you all go ape at me for using acid, it does work, but you need to be very careful. I removed a lot of rust staining from my 1915 Saxon wappen using this stuff, with a paintbrush and repeated painting and rinsing. The end result was a clean wappen, with no apparent alteration in the colour. I did it 5 years ago and its still fine.

There is also something called "Jenolite" in the UK. Its a green water soluble jelly. Paint it on with a brush, wash it off with water. It apparently attacks the rust but not the paint, though it does discolour some paints it seems not to effect the colour on wappen or stahlhelms.

Both methods obviously have risks attached, but both do work. They are just very labour intensive, as you need to apply and rinse very quickly, so each application only removes a little staining. I was hoping this new stuff would be better as I could just drop it in and walk away.

Im sure that others will disagree or have other methods, but both these methods have worked for me.

Im hoping the Austrian M16 will be here this weekend, so I can start the soaking and see what happens.

Andy

Back