Ldst.-I.-Ers.-Btl. Hamburg - Maschinengewehr Kursus 1916

drakegoodman

An interesting Gruppenbild depicting fellows from 4 Kompagnie, Landsturm Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 'Hamburg' (IX 34) - Machinegun Course of 1916. A bonus I missed on the preview picture I was sent prior to purchase, is the absence of a backing plate to the Landwehr Cross on the shako of the fellow standing at the right.

According to Busche, these fellows were deployed to the fortifications of the Elbe estuary at Cuxhaven. Backing this up, the card was authored in Altenwalde, 6.8 kilometres south of Cuxhaven.

Landsturm IX 34 by drakegoodman, on Flickr

drakegoodman said:
I missed on the preview picture I was sent prior to purchase, is the absence of a backing plate to the Landwehr Cross on the shako of the fellow standing at the right.

He is wearing the Hessen pattern Landwehr cross. They are all wearing M1860 Tschakos. Nice........

You are killing. Me!!! SHe obviously is giving you first choice,!! What is most interreSting is the1916 date.

Hey Joe,
Even more interesting is the MGs, are they early Maixims, what about the tri[pods?
Best
Gus

joerookery said:
You are killing. Me!!! SHe obviously is giving you first choice,!! What is most interreSting is the1916 date.

This one was from a different source Joe, a far more reasonably priced purveyor of postcards than our mutual friend from Reinsdorf.

Last "first choice" I was offered was in exhange for a kidney.

- Brett

joerookery said:
Yes, she is pricy.

Gus, good point. Mix that wig 1916
Hey Joe,
I love your mouth typewriter, Mix that with 1916, There is no wonder that these cards are getting pricey, they are very interesting, and they tell a lot more about history than helmets or other artifacts.
Best
Gus

Back