Lieutenant Karl Friedrich Wilhelm Sonnenkalb, 96th IR

Larmo

Friends, for your enjoyment, I would like to share this nice CDV image of a young officer proudly displaying his recently awarded Iron Cross Second Class. His name was Karl Sonnenkalb and he served as a Lieutenant with the 7th Thuringian Infantry Regiment Nr 96 during the War with France 1870-1871. His regiment formed part of the IV Army Corps, 8th Infantry Division, 16th Infantry Brigade. During the fighting of 30 August 1870 he was among the 214 casualties suffered by his regiment at the Battle of Beaumont. Though wounded, he survived the war.

We know his name today because someone cared enough to write it on the reverse of this image many years ago, Lieutenant Sonnenkalb, Gera 1871.

Larmo

hpqscan0001x.jpg

That is a lesson, if you have family photos, that do not have the names on them, and you know the names, do your great great grand children a favor, and write the names on the back
Gus

I think James bought it, we do not like James, he gets all the cool stuff.

Larmo,

Karl Oskar Sonnenkalb, born 22 April 1847 in Altenburg, entered Infanterie-Regiment 96 as an aspirant officer on 1 January 1868. He was promoted to Portepee-Fähnrich on 10.8.68 and to Sekonde-Lieutenant on 8.4.69. He was lightly wounded at Beaumont and then served with the replacement battalion of his regiment from 20 September 1870 to 1 July 1871. He was seconded to the Eisenbahn-Bataillon from 1 August 1873 for one year.

He left Prussian service on 12 January 1875 with a view to entering the Saxon Army and entered Infanterie-Regiment 107 on 1 February 1875. He was promoted to Premier-Lieutenant on 24.5.75 and retired on 27 April 1877.

In 1912 he was living in Pocatello, Idaho as an engineer.

Regards
Glenn

Liongules said:
Idaho???!! I bet that was a big change from Prussia and Saxony!

Damn tootin' Idaho is the best place in the world, unfortunatly. Pocatello is pretty much the arm pit of Idaho.
Gus

Back