Liner Tongues Draw String End Piece

Lars13

Just a small detail that I wanted to share, from an 1896 Pickelhaube. The end piece looks professionally made.

Hard to get my cheap camera to focus properly, or is it the operator? :-k

Lars

View attachment 1

I've never seen that before. It's also possible that the soldier did this, if they had skill working wire / leather. An individual modification / enhancement?

:D Ron

I have seen that before in my travels.....perfectly original and legitimate in my opinion. Obviously, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to thread the leather lace through the liner holes.

b.loree said:
I have seen that before in my travels.....perfectly original and legitimate in my opinion. Obviously, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to thread the leather lace through the liner holes.

Do you think it was manufactured or a soldier modification?

:D Ron

My opinion is: a purposely manufactured part. It is a like a tight coiled pointed spring which screws on to the leather lace and makes it much easier to run the lace through the liner holes. Sort of similar to the plastic or metal ends which are crimped on modern shoe laces but much better. It grips very tightly which is why it has held on for 100 years.

Back