Live action combat helmet .

Spiker

No glitter and glamour for this helmet ,
This is my latest find , a 1914 Felt pickelhaube , made without back spine .
This helmet gave as much protection as a Charlie Chaplin hat.
Original strap ,cockades and cover… with earth dust still inside…..

dscn6074.jpg

The pictures are taken in “ de dodengang” of Diksmuide ,
in the last genuine remaining WW I trenches.

Nice helmet and judging from your pictures it appears still in a good shape, which is not always the case with this type of fragile felt helmet lacking a rear spine and rear visor. Thanks for sharing!

Regards :wave:

Edwin

Spiker said:
The pictures are taken in “ de dodengang” of Diksmuide ,
in the last genuine remaining WW I trenches.

Hey Spiker, great display for your nice headgear! Congrats for this well choosed atmosphere too!
Last genuine remaining WWI trenches? [-X I think if you could ever take a walk in the darkness of the still deep ravined and mysterious and silent forest of the Argonne (Marne-Meuse sector) , you will be fascinated about how much well preserved trenches you can still discover in some hid areas....Almost nobody has been there for the last 100 years and you can literally feel the whole tragedy of what happened there between September 1914 and the end of the year 1915! You are almost able to cut the atmosphere with a knife :eek: No joke! 8-[
However, the trenches in Dixmuide seem to be very similar to those in the Vimy sector (Battle of Arras, April 1917), where the canadian forces fought the first time in WWI.

Spiker, do you know if this 62th silesian infantry regiment fought in the area of Dixmuide? Came this Überzug together with the helmet? I always though that felt helmets did not need an Überzug?? :-k
Ok, maybe only those with grey and feldgrau fittings, not such with brass fittings...

Philippe :salute:

Aha ! The always critical Argonne hit again, :) I like this guy,
Anyway,
In Belgium, I forgot to mention they are the last remaining WWI trenches in" Belgium".
I don’t think the 62 infantry regiment was ever in Dixmuide, I believe they were part of the
6 th armee .
The cover belongs to this helmet, the hooks left their marks on the helmet and the
helmet left its marks on the cover.
The little holes in front are made by this eagle, they fall exactly in place.
Also, there is no mark of a rear spine in this cover, and the brown chinstrap has
made the inside of the cover a little brownish, and then there are the cockades and
chinstrap buckles who left their rust mark.
The cover is completely molded to this helmet form.
If you would have this helmet in your hands ,you would know what I mean.

87642591.jpg

dscn6069g.jpg

dscn6077x.jpg

Spiker said:
Aha ! The always critical Argonne hit again, I like this guy,

:D :D :D

And as always your arguments are more than 1000% convincing and demonstrate you have the best knowledge about the cool stuff in your collection that you are showing here!! I perfectly know what you are meaning :thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up: I also would be glad to have this one in my display case!
Kudos!!! :wink:

Philippe :salute:

I always though that felt helmets did not need an Überzug??

Philippe,

The photographic record does not support this. They almost always used a helmet cover such as this one. I love the trench!

Hi Spiker,

once again I wonder where one can "find" a treasure like this?!:))
Really a wonderful helmet and great pictures. Thanks for sharing!!

Best regards,

Alex

Thanks for the response gentlemen,
On the soldier handling the bullet belt , you can see this kind of helmet in action .

ajf59.jpg

Back