Look at my new rifle...

Larmo

hpqscan0001z.jpg

Hi Gang

Purchased this fellow recently, thought I was getting a man with a needle gun, but in fact it's a M1871 mauser with its bolt open. Regardless its a great period image of a bandbox fresh young soldier, circa 1874-75, who is obviously quite proud of his new modern rifle. Look at the gleam on his leather equipments! He's got his pipe and beer too!

The reverse identifes him as Onkel Franz Dischlxxxx

Born 27 April 1858
Died 7 April 1896

Larmo

Larry,

Super cool picture! We have an appendix in the upcoming book on changes of tactics prior to 1914. While I don't know one rifle from the other I thought this passage might apply.

Shortly after the war an improved infantry rifle, the model 1871, designed by Paul Mauser, was introduced. This rifle replaced the now outdated and quite difficult to handle Dreyse rifle with its fragile firing needle. The Mauser had an improved bolt-operated lock firing stable brass cartridges instead of the quite fragile Dreyse paper cartridges. Quickly the model 1871 rifle was further improved and replaced by the model 1871/84 repeating rifle having an eight round tube magazine under the barrel. Although the model 1871/84 still fired black powder cartridges it was already a repeating rifle allowing a murderous rate of infantry fire at distances up to 1,600 meters.

But again the French were faster in taking the lead in the arms race by introducing their model 1886 Lebel rifle firing smokeless 8 mm cordite powder cartridges. Those "small" caliber rounds had not only a much higher range and higher muzzle velocity, they were also much lighter compared to the old black powder rounds enabling the infantry man to carry more rounds in his ammo pouches.

I would really love to know more about this guy's economic background. my interest is very much peaked by his death date and his age. If only we could talk to him...

Hi Joe, I know what you mean...we look at his face and wonder about him, his cares and joys, where did he work, maybe he had a family himself, he was certainly an uncle and he died very young, even for those days.

Just a footnote to the M1871 mauser, according to John Walters in his book "The German Rifle 1871-1945", the Germans experienced great difficulties in the getting the weapon into production. The government arsenal at Spandau didn't begin production until 1874 with other rifle contractors not coming online until much later, the Amberg arsenal for instance in 1877.

Larry

Every photo has a story, but not all can be told, because they have been removed from their base. Is there a chance that his last name can be made out, could be see a scan of the script? Cool card
Gus

hpqscan0001d.jpg

Sure Gus, here is the reverse. The person who did the identifying on the reverse was a little early on the 1870 date, that would have made him 12 years old!

Come to think of it, I was a little early on my 1874-75 date as well. Considering what I wrote earlier on the John Walker book, perhaps 1878-1880 would be more accurate. errors compound errors. :D

Larry

Onkel Franz Dischlatis in Jahr 1870 ungefahr, This was no doubt written after the turn of the century and possibly as late as the thirties due to the type of script. they did not know for sure on the date as they have written Unkle Franz Dischatis in year 1870 approximately.
Great card
Gus

Back