Looking for info on a prussian pickelhaube

Cromer

I recently aquired my GG Grandfathers pickelhaube. I would like to get some information about it. Does anyone know what year this was made? What type of soldier wore this? What could this be worth? Should I do anything to it to help presserve it? Or any other relevent info would be appreciated.

Pictures are at the following link.

http://www.instappraisal.com/content/pre-wwi-prussian-spiked-helmet

worked for me?

It is a M15 Prussian Garde helmet for enlisted man. M15 means it was made during the great war and thus has field gray fittings.

It is missing most of the liner and also the chinstrap and both kokarden (rounds discs on the sides of the helmet held on by chinstrap)

As fasr as care, just dust it off and keep out of direct sun and if possible high and low humidity levels. I do not beleive in using leather care as it does more damage then good.

James

Its an Enlisted man Prussian model 1915 of the Guard Regiments. I personally would leave it alone, don't touch it unless you have the knowledge and experience in restoring leather helmets that are almost 100 yrs old. I only say this because you can easily ruin the helmet. If I had to guess it would be worth somewhere in the 500 to 700 range, maybe more if it was fully complete, but I'm no appraiser. Congrats on the find!!!

I see some ink stampings on the rear visor (typical) if you can give us these we can perhaps ID the Guard Regiment to which this piece belonged. Prior to the war Guards regiments were elite units comprised of men 6ft tall or over. Their officers would have all been members of the nobility. I am not certain that they would have been able to maintain this size requirement by 1915. The Brits had similar units in WW1 and Guards units of both sides would be sent into some of the toughest fighting. Note on the star the Latin Motto Suum Quinque...."To Each His Own". Pre 1915 versions of this helmet would have had all brass fittings. The star would have been a silver colour, made from white metal to contrast against the brass eagle. On the officer private purchase helmets the star is enameled. This is a fairly rare helmet as of course there were not a huge number of Guards Regiments in the German Army. Brian

Thanks for the great info. Here is a close up of the ink markings. I can't seem to make out what they are.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8599/cimg2018y.jpg

Back