M15 Prussian Tschapka

Adler

Finally I found one in the condition I want...
This M15 Tschapka is still in very good condition, only the chinstrap has pealed off a bit , due to the use of poor quality leather (ersatz). This Tschapka has probably never seen service, because there are no stamps or markings visible, only a stamp of the producer: Maury & Co Mainz.
Hope you also like this one gentlemen...

Adler

This is a good example of an astute collector waiting for quality rather than buying a poor condition one just to have an example. Good for you Karel :thumbright:

Very nice indeed. I would just like to point out, that we see on this piece the shako style chicken with the crossed feathers used here while on other tschapkas they used just a small version of the typical Prussian infantry eagle. I would like to also point out the characteristics of an original feldzeichen (thanks T). The black central cloth pieces is hand stitched on to the white background NOT GLUED as on the repros. The white background cloth is also hand stitched on originals! Very nice indeed and well worth the wait. Quality in a piece is everything, if you buy something with problems, then you are just taking on someone elses troubles. These will bight you in the butt when it comes to resale. B

Brian, help me out here... I thought a shako's eagle would have feathers that butted up to each other on the end, while a tschapka's would be interwoven like this... or am I getting something wrong in my brain again? :oops:

:D Ron

Hi Adler,
thanks for sharing your nice 1915 Prussian tschapska and congratulation for this new gentleman getting in your collection :)
I compared with mine and found many common points, I suppose the maker could be the same !
http://www.imperialhelmets.com/cavalry-helmets/?nggpage=3
kind regards and bravo !
steve

:thumbleft:

More pics of mine HERE

fgh18.jpg

Those Tschapkas also look great! But now I'm getting confused too... Tony isn't that an eagle from a Tschako on your Tschapka?... Or am I missing something?...

Adler

Adler said:
Those Tschapkas also look great! But now I'm getting confused too... Tony isn't that an eagle from a Tschako on your Tschapka?... Or am I missing something?...

You are correct Karel. That is a Jäger pattern eagle Wappen. Family purchase, never been removed. Goes to show that sometimes the clothing depots were not as concerned as us collectors when it came to details.

Very nice Tschapka, Adler (and Tony, too).
Notice the same pealing off on the chinstrap of this 1915 2GUR Tschapka:
P2210003.jpg

Thanks Adler and Tony,

Nice looking helmets guys, very nice. Years ago, I turned down a Prussian officer type Tschapka at a show because it had a line eagle, pre-war helmet, but wrong plate.... right?

:D Ron

Hi all,

I've done this article last year in a french forum, perhaps it could help you to find some answers... but it's in french language, sorry!

http://lagrandeguerre.cultureforum.net/coiffes-uniformes-equipements-individuels-et-collectifs-f38/aigles-de-uhlans-t23806.htm

Maxime

poniatowski said:
Years ago, I turned down a Prussian officer type Tschapka at a show because it had a line eagle, pre-war helmet, but wrong plate.... right?

I think I understand... Ron you turned down an officer's Tschapka because it had a line eagle Wappen not the smaller version? Officer's wore line eagle Wappen. Only Mannschaften wore the smaller Tschapka eagle Wappen. See my officer's one HERE

Back