M15 prussian with uberzug

michiel

I found this M15 with it's uberzug, seems to have always been together, inside is the inscription Gent Universiteit 1916.

Attachments

• pickel M15 mit uberzug wappen.jpg
    pickel M15 mit uberzug wappen.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 25
  • pickel M15 mit uberzug front.jpg
    pickel M15 mit uberzug front.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 22
  • pickel M15 mit uberzug right.jpg
    pickel M15 mit uberzug right.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 21
  • pickel M15 mit uberzug left.jpg
    pickel M15 mit uberzug left.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 33
  • pickel M15 mit uberzug Gent universiteit 1916.jpg
    pickel M15 mit uberzug Gent universiteit 1916.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 32
  • pickel M15 mit uberzug hinterscheine.jpg
    pickel M15 mit uberzug hinterscheine.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 33
That is a very rare set, so many have been separated or destroyed. Congratulations!

Last edited:
dear Zebedeus, yes they are missing, but that's exactly what I like about this item!!!,

there are a lot of period photographs of spikeless pickelhaubes with spikeless uberzugs, and in several reference works uberzuge without the spitze (or to be more precise a separate spitze-uberzug) is documented,
I have a couple of uberzuge al of them have the cover for the spitze attached tot the cover for the helmet body, this is my first one without it.

with the introduction in 1915 of the M15 helmet with detachable spitze also an uberzug without the spitze was introduced, but this is the first one I encountered (and happily was able to lay my hands upon),

So I think this variant is much more rare than the usual one, (as I never see it for sale either on militaria fairs, nor on websites like weitze)

I attached some Photographs as an illustration from the above mentioned reference books and some period photo's

(from " die feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres" , and from " les coiffures de combat de l'armee allemande" (both excellent reference books)
sorry for the spelling errors, my spelling check tries to convert everything back to Dutch...

Attachments

• sansspike.jpg
    sansspike.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 11
  • nospikestern.jpg
    nospikestern.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 8
  • spikeless uberzug 1.jpg
    spikeless uberzug 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 10
  • spikeless uberzug 2.jpg
    spikeless uberzug 2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 11
  • spikeless uberzug 3.jpg
    spikeless uberzug 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 11
  • spikeless uberzug 4.jpg
    spikeless uberzug 4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 11
  • spikeless uberzug 5.jpg
    spikeless uberzug 5.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 11
I'm curious about the opinion of others on this subject (the variants of the uberzug, and this version specifically)

Attachments

• spikeless uberzug 6.jpg
    spikeless uberzug 6.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8
dear Zebedeus, yes they are missing, but that's exactly what I like about this item!!!,

there are a lot of period photographs of spikeless pickelhaubes with spikeless uberzugs, and in several reference works uberzuge without the spitze (or to be more precise a separate spitze-uberzug) is documented,
I have a couple of uberzuge al of them have the cover for the spitze attached tot the cover for the helmet body, this is my first one without it.

with the introduction in 1915 of the M15 helmet with detachable spitze also an uberzug without the spitze was introduced, but this is the first one I encountered (and happily was able to lay my hands upon),

So I think this variant is much more rare than the usual one, (as I never see it for sale either on militaria fairs, nor on websites like weitze)

I attached some Photographs as an illustration from the above mentioned reference books and some period photo's

(from " die feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres" , and from " les coiffures de combat de l'armee allemande" (both excellent reference books)
sorry for the spelling errors, my spelling check tries to convert everything back to Dutch...
Dear Michiel,
your cover is superb and seems to be on the helmet from the origin.
Everything you wrote is correct but I have to make a clarification:
This is not a variant but the M1915 coverl that was properly introduced for the helmet with the removable spike.
Originally it consisted of two separate parts. The smaller top cover unfortunately was often lost.

20220816_144035.jpg20220816_144142.jpg

Dear Zebedeus, beautiful, is it yours?
don’t you agree the uberzug with seperate point is more scarce?

Dear Michiel,
Yes indeed I completely agree with you about the rarity of the M1915 cover. The period of it's use was short.
It was introduced in the last part of 1915 and already on 1916 was adopte the stahlhelm. Furthermore many were lost in war use.
Sure, the one I have shown above is mine.

Back