M15 Uberzug improperly used??

joerookery

m15nouse.jpg

Hey Joe,
It looks like it is being worn in-side out, perhaps it has numbers on the out side, and he turned it to obscure them. I thought that it might be being missused in some other manner, and may be there is a stain on the other side from such use and that is the reason he has turned it.
Gus

Yes the chin strap is not being worn through the slits that have been provided. However, you can also see the hooks (I see 2 hooks) which fatesn the uberzug to the visor. When normally worn they are not visible of course. The cover has been trurned inside out. You will note also that the material around the slits is different. These are the leather re enforcements which are stitched on the inside around the slits...another confirmation that the uberzug has been turned inside out as when properly worn they are not seen. That is a great picture by the way Joe. Brian

Yes Brian, That was my take on it, when you see some one wearing their pants backwards, you do not take that much notice if the fly is not done up.
Gus

i would say it proably was to cover the numbers as well , but it is defintaley inside out. that is the reason the chin strap is nit throught the slot , it would not fit while inside out . The leather would flip back.
just my guess.
nice pic thouch
Mark

Hey Mark,
I believe that he could have run the chin strap through the slits, but if we knew that reason why he reversed the Überzeug, then we would have a better idea about the chin strap. Did he reverse the Überzeug because he was not allowed to have a photo taken with his unit number visible? If so, that raises the question of why he did not just remove the Überzeug, would a front line soldier prefer to have his photo taken with an article of uniform that would denote he is one of the men fighting the war? This is the kind of photo that opens up the mind of the subject to give us a chance to speculate what he might be thinking, a rare photo indeed.
Gus
PS Maggie says that it was just a new recrute who did not know haw to put it on he he he rsrsrs

I'm with Gus. This looks to have been done as an expedient and he did not want to be bothered with redoing the chinstrap, as it was just a temporary switch.

Chip

Back