M15 Wurttemburg enlisted helmet with Info on Soldier who wore this helmet

ww1czechlegion

Here's a nice condition M15 Wurttemburg Enlisted pattern helmet, minus the chinstrap and kokardes as I found it.

The front visor has recently been expertly restitched by Brian. He does such an absolutely fantastic job, that a person cannot tell that the visor has been restitched.

The left side reinforcement panel has "bubbled out" a bit, located above the wearer's left ear area, or where the left side post of the helmet is. I think this can be seen in my photos. This is seen in the 2nd photo I have posted below of the helmet. The bottom area of the reinforcement leather panel has buckled out a bit as shown in the photo.

The rear visor stitching is original and tight and intact on the helmet. Other than Brian re-stitching the front visor recently, it is as I found it last year in March of 2021.

Here is some excellent information that Philippe was kind enough to share about this helmet and the former owners who wore it:

"To my understanding: k.w. R. 247 III 9 Komp. = königliches. württembergisches Regiment 247 III Bataillon 9 Kompanie
I also think that the helmet could have seen 4 different soldiers . I do not think that "WALTER" has something to do with the name "KOCH". It´s another typography, another name!

I just consulted the Kriegsstammrollen of the 9/247 that are still existing.
There was a Wilhelm WALTER who arrived at the 9/247 on the 7.7.15, so it is perfect to receive a new M15 helmet just at this period as they were introduced. WALTER was killed through a sniper bullet in the head in the first trench line at Neuve-Chapelle on the 18.5.16.

Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg, Seite 13241: Walter Wilhelm (Lombach, Freudenstadt)

It is totally possible that he wore at this moment only his Krätzchen, as seen on so many period picts in the front lines. His helmet could then have been given to the next new guy coming to the 9/247. So we find a Paul KOCH who made his apparition to this company on the 24.11.16. This guy was permanently ill so he was sent back to the Ersatz-Bataillon RJR247 on the 1.1.17.
Then his helmet has been for sure given to 2 other guys : W. BINDER and the guy with the initials K.L. .
As the M16 was now generally worn in the front lines, it is very possible that this M15 helmet did not saw the front anymore and was only worn by new recruits in the garrison of the Ersatz-Bataillon, or even in some second or third lines units as Landsturm, so it is impossible to track those two last guys...

Philippe"

The helmet has been discussed here in this thread:
Brian's re-stitching work thread is found here:

I am asking $850.00 or "Best Offer" on this helmet.

Free shipping via Priority Mail in USA.

Shipment to Canada: $25.00 via 1st Class International Mail.

Shipment to Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, UK: $45.00 via 1st Class International Mail.

Shipment to Indonesia will cost $55 via 1st Class International Mail.

Payment via PayPal is o.k. I prefer "friends and family" or add 4% to cover the PayPal fees.

Thanks,

Alan

101_2917.JPG

101_2918.JPG

101_2919.JPG

101_2920.JPG

101_2921.JPG

101_2922.JPG

101_2923.JPG

101_2924.JPG

101_2925.JPG

101_2926.JPG

101_2927.JPG

101_2928.JPG

101_2929.JPG

It arrived today! I am so happy with the helmet.
I fitted an M15 chinstrap to it, which I had laying around for years, and some kokarden, of which I know they are replica's.
Not sure about the chinstrap, but it is old, and looks original. I am so happy!
What a very nice Wurtt M15!
Wurttemberg M15..jpg

That is a very nice M15 Wurttemberg helmet Coert, congratulations 👍 Alan comes up some excellent pieces.

The helmet looks great in it's new home Coert! Thanks again for purchasing it, I appreciate it!

And thanks again to Philippe for doing the excellent research to discover some information on the former wearers of this helmet!

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back