M17 with local connection

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Here is one of my M17 camo's that I love mainly because it was brought back by a solider from my state.

Private Carl O. Wenell of Minneapolis, Minnesota brought this helmet back and I was lucky enough to get it from a family member with copies of some of his papers

Private Wenell served with Medical Detachment, 151st Field Artillary, 42nd Div. A.E.F.

He was awarded The Distinguishd Service Cross for Heroism in action at Pannes, France September 21, 1918. According to his Military service record. Private Wenell displayed the highest bravery and self-sacrificing spirit by voluntarily leaving shelter during a heavy hostile bombardment and going to the assistance of several wounded men of another regiment, whose position adjoined that of his own . Under terrific shell fire he skillfully dressed their wounds and then removed them to a place of safety, thereby saving their lives.

Sounds like this guy was somthing else!

back to the helmet, M17 marked SI.62 which means it was manufactured by Eisenhüttenwerk Schlesien, Paruschowitz/ Oberschlesien.

has name inside back brim, looks like Yoseph or Joseph. All pads are intact etc.

James
m17minneapolis001.jpg

m17minneapolis002.jpg

m17minneapolis003.jpg

m17minneapolis004.jpg

m17minneapolis005.jpg

Beautiful pattern and colours. The history that has been preserved with this helmet makes it all the more appealing.
Hans

Back