"M18" helmet...exactly when did they appear

Altenmarkt88

Hello,

So when exactly did the "M18" stahlhelm appear? Obviously it got its title since it appeared sometime in 1918, but say as a reenactor, is it plausible if your'e portraying a early 1918 impression, would they have been around by then? (say just before the spring offensive)?

Dan

I can't find any information as to exactly when full scale production of M18s began. They were first issued in August 1918, quite late considering that plans to alter the chinstrap were already under way since October 1917.

Thanks for the info! I thought they were fairly late, I have been pouring over every 1918 era pic I can find of troops wearing helmets with loop, and I can find very very few that appear to be the 1918 model.

Hi,

Reviving this old thread as I have an M18 Stahlhelm (standard, not the cut-out ear), and have read that this was manufactured from July 1918, but haven't been able to find a period photograph yet showing one in the field.

Does anyone know of a photograph that clearly shows that the M18 made it to the front before the end of the war?

Thanks,

Lars

Thanks, maybe the closest we can get to confirming the use of the M18 helmet at the front short of period photographs :D

Back