M1861 Austrian Kinder Sabel

SCHUPO

I thought I would show a very nice Austrian Kinder Sable (Children's Sword) outfit that I picked up at a local militaria show a couple of years ago. This kid sized sword is 21" overall in the scabbard and has all the accouterments with the sword. These little swords were made as kid toys but some were better made than others with more attention to detail. This little sword is highly detailed and complete.

This is a small rendition of the Imperial Austro-Hungarian Model 1861 Cavalry Troops Saber. This particular sword model was replaced in 1869 by a new model of saber. Just like its full size counterpart the hilt has black leather grips bound in twisted brass wire and is Nickel plated overall. The guard is distinctive in that, different from the preceding 1858 Model sword, it has elongated piercings in the narrow, and re-enforced, basket guard. The plated blunt mild steel blade has a narrow fuller on the obverse side while it also presents a slab sided blade on the reverse side just like the full size issue sword. Interestingly, this small sword has a nickeled steel scabbard that retains the two ring suspension of the preceding Model 1858 Cavalry Saber. This sword also retains its white cotton sword knot and its proper gold bullion on red leather Austrian Officer suspension straps and sword belt.

This is the first Austrian Kinder Sable that I have found that is complete with all its accouterments.

Attachments

• Mini Aust sword.JPG
    Mini Aust sword.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Mini Aust sword rev blade.JPG
    Mini Aust sword rev blade.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Mini Aust sword obv blade.JPG
    Mini Aust sword obv blade.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Mini Aust sword hnger.JPG
    Mini Aust sword hnger.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Mini Aust sword knot.JPG
    Mini Aust sword knot.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Mini Aust sword hilt.JPG
    Mini Aust sword hilt.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 17
Glad my nephew never had one of these when he was little. Bad enough getting a floor hockey ball shot at me. Can’t imagine him with this.

Now he is serving with the Canadian Special Operations Regiment.

Thank you gentlemen. I have several of these Kinder Sabels and I find them interesting. There is such a wide variety of these depending upon who made them. More "tinny" if made by a toy maker to more "heavy" and detailed if made by an edged weapon maker. The same seems to apply to miniature swords and edged weapons of the size used for letter openers by soldiers.

Here is an example of a Child Sword surely made by a toy maker. This more generic sword seems British with a rolled tin scabbard and fittings and less detail. It does retain the original sword belt made of Ersatz leather though and is much less beefy than the Austrian one shown above.

Attachments

• Mini Brit sword.JPG
    Mini Brit sword.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Mini Brit sword blade.JPG
    Mini Brit sword blade.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Mini Brit sword blade tip.JPG
    Mini Brit sword blade tip.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Mini Brit sword hilt.JPG
    Mini Brit sword hilt.JPG