M1893 CUP

Foxdoublegunner

Gentlemen,
I just acquired this cup. I believe that it is called a trinkblecher M1893. It is of aluminum manufacture. From what little information that I have been able to find, I understand that this style cup was manufactrued until Oct 1914 when the Germans switched to a steel variant due to lack of aluminum and that a similar variant once again made in aluminum was manufactured after the Great War but with only three instead of six rivets. My main concern is that I have not been able to locate any makers mark or unit markings on the cup. All else looks like fotos that I have found. Does this cup look like the "real deal" or is it a recent chinese knock off?

Thank you,
FoxdoublegunnerView attachment 1View attachment 2IMG_0922.jpg

I have only owned one of these but it came from the estate of a Canadian WW1 veteran. Unfortunately, I sold it years ago. Yours looks original to me.

Hi Foxdoublegunner,

It looks like these were produced until long after WW I: https://www.germaniateutonia.de/TRINKBECHER-FUeR-FELDFLASCHE-DEUTSCHE-WEHRMACHT-1-1

My earliest is from 1906, and I have the idea that they only started dating them not long before that, but typically did have the manufacturer's mark. As far as I know the pouring lip / spout wasn't added until 1904, so for me unmarked with the shape you're showing is most likely post WW I.Sorry.

Best regards,

Lars

Lars and Brian,
Thank you for your comments. I have noticed some post war cups with dates, but I have only been able to find a very small sample. I have also seen some repro alinuminm cups dated just prior and during the initial years of WW2. Is the consensus that this is an actual cup made just after WW! or is it more probably a recent repro cup? I ask because I have an original M1915 water bottle with corduroy cover that also doesn't have a makers mark or year stamp so it appears that at some point these were not used and at some later point makers marks and years were re-instituted.

Foxdoublegunner

Hi Foxdoublegunner,

I think most items were still marked with maker and year in Oct 1914, later in the war they were less strict. I don't think it's a repro, it looks like the genuine article.

Lars

Thank you, Lars. That makes me feel more comfortable. At least it is original even if we are not able to narrow down the date.

Regards,
Foxdoublegunner

Lars and Brian,
I just found the "twin " of my cup available for sale at Great Wars Militaria and advertised as pre WW1 and unmarked/undated with a scratched name and WW1 unit. So it appears that there is at least one other example of an unmarked/undated aluminum cup circulating. Whether the scratched name and unit on the other cup are real or added later we will probably never know.

Regards,
Foxdoublegunner

Back