M1916 liner question

ebeeby

Picked up what looks to be a good example of a m1916 camo Stahlhelm. But it also could be an aged fake.
m1917 steel liner with pads. Each pad has a maker stamp showing:

Carl Menzel
Luckenwalde

Anyone see this maker mark (or any maker mark) on a liner before?

Ronny - You can still the photos here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Nice-Untouched-Original-1917-German-Camouflage-WWI-Helmet-From-Vet-Estate-/171013434514?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=qag2efQ%252F%252FaLMCVU8kzaqu4KjESQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good price you got this one for!

First time I see a maker's stamp engraved on the leather pads...

From what I've learned here, there were 13 German M16-18 stahlhelm manufacturers in WW1--including Eisenhüttenwerke Thale A.G. [E.T.] which made your shell--but I'm guessing the (leather) liners were made by separate suppliers?

The first thing I would do is test the liner under a UV/black light the minute I get it and see what happens.

Ronny - You have the best ideas! No glow of anything under black light flashlight I have. Stitches don't glow, pillows don't glow. Heck, maybe I did OK afterall??

Still, can't recall seeing maker stamps on liner leather pads before....

Yeah, pretty unique it seems... especially that it's on every one of them :-k

Let's wait for the steel experts to jump in (Hans, Karel, Mark, ... help!)

Pads with maker stamps rarely turn up, but the one in this thread is a good example of the few that do. I've owned two helmets with maker stamped liner pads - one E.T. 60 with Carl Menzel named pads and an E.T. 64 with Otto Koch pads.

Well Eric, looks like you've done pretty well indeed and for a great price!!!

Congrats! [-o<

Please post better photos when possible =P~

Very nice Eric! Thanks for sharing and congrats again on a great bargain! =D>

Back