M1916 Stahlhelm,1st version 'square dip' w./prototype liner

Stahlhelm

Here is an example of the very first German model 1916 steel helmet (E.T. 62). Known as the square dip to collectors, these helmets feature a sharp transition from the neck guard up toward the visor. Eisenhuettenwerke Thale (E.T.) was the only ironworks involved with the production of these early helmets. An order for 30 000 helmets was placed to be available for the end of January 1916. The first batch was delivered to Sturmbataillon Rohr for trials which took place in mid December 1915. The square dip was without doubt produced in all shell sizes; surviving examples of sizes 60 through 66 are known to me.

The steep and narrow visor/neck guard transition proved to be a serious design flaw. Frequently occurring stress cracks and related problems meant that large amounts of helmets had to be scrapped during production. Thale therefore wasn't able to produce this model in the large numbers required, although they did manage to have a large number of these helmets (exact number unknown to me) ready in time for the initial assault on Verdun.

This helmet has no visible stress cracks, but interestingly has the area where these occurred marked in black ink. The exterior shell shows heavy pitting which occured during the rolling mill process, when the steel ingots were rolled into sheet steel. It shows clear signs of having had an armoured brow plate displayed on it, likely for a considerable period.
101_2847-copy_edited.jpg

101_2855-copy_edited.jpg

101_2856-copy_edited.jpg

101_2879-copy_edited.jpg

101_2907_edited.jpg

100_1321-copy-1.jpg

The liner is a pre-production variant. The leather band is slightly wider than the production model 1916 band, and the shape and construction of the pads, including the cushion pouches on the reverse, is noticeably different. The liner band has two extra split rivet holes. I've seen only 2 or 3 other square dips with this liner; the majority have the regular model 1916 liners.

101_2888-copy.jpg

101_2902-copy.jpg

101_0381-copy.jpg

101_0389-copy.jpg

Reverse side of a regular M16 liner pad for comparison.
000_0002-copy_edited.jpg

Comparison of the production model 1916, left, and the square dip. Both helmets are E.T. size 62.
Hans

101_2918_edited.jpg

Square dip transition detail
100_1318.jpg

Production model transition detail
100_1313-copy-1.jpg

Great helmet, however, I am hard to teach, in the side by side comparison, I still do not see much of a differance, how can you tell?

Just trying to learn

thanks

James

Minnesota Slim said:
Great helmet, however, I am hard to teach, in the side by side comparison, I still do not see much of a differance, how can you tell?

Just trying to learn

thanks

James

By the price:) There is a rather sharper angle to the front of the skirt, and sometimes camera angle can change the appearance as in the photo from abover of the right side, look closley at the close ups of the front of the skirt, the later helmets are more rounded. There is not really much differance in the helmets, but the small differance does distinguish them as the first production run, and many of these helmets were used by the boys who opened the battle of Verdun.
Gus

James, here are a few more shots of the helmets side by side which hopefully show the differences better. Again, both helmets are E.T. 62, and if they were both M16 production models by this maker, they would look virtually identical. The square dip is on the left hand side in each picture.
Hans

100_1650-copy.jpg

100_1622.jpg

100_1649-copy.jpg

When viewed from the front, some shared Thale characteristics are evident.
100_1668-copy.jpg

Back