M1917A1

Lost Skeleton

This may go over like a lead balloon, but I find it interesting: a British Mark I helmet converted to a U.S. M1917A1.

For information on both the M1917 and its replacement, the following links are useful:

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/helmet17.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ww2usmilitaria/m1917a1helmet.html

P1010485.jpg

Interior detail showing the overlapping magnetic rim characteristic of British production. The M1917A1 liner is attributed to a Capt. G. B. Blalock.

P1010493.jpg

The manganese steel shell is stamped "HS" for Hadfield's Steel Foundry Co., Ltd. (thank you, Tony).

P1010490.jpg

The holes for the original British chinstrap guides have been plugged.

P1010489.jpg

Chas.

Interesting helmet. I have three M1917A1 helmets and I've never seen one with the original chinstrap D-ring hole plugged before.

The finish is interesting too. I have understood that the thicker texture is from the reissued helmets, while the sandy finish is from the later made helmets. What is interesting is that the British MkI helmets tended not to have such a thick texture, so I would assume this was issued to the Americans.

This is my rough texture M1917A1, which was a reissued example. What makes this one interesting is that the chinstrap isn't sewn, but instead has brass rivets. This suggests it might have been one of the first "transitional" helmets:
american_m1917a1_big1.jpg

Liner and chinstrap. Note the rivets:
american_m1917a1_big2.jpg

This is the sandy finish. This is likely from the new production run in 1939/40:
american_m1917a1-b_big1.jpg

This is a "Holy Grail" helmet, an M1917A1 with the USMC EGA (Eagle/Globe/Anchor insignia). I had searched high and low, and missed one at SOS two years ago, but bought this from Chris Armold this past summer:
american_17a1usmc_big1.jpg

Liner:
american_17a1usmc_big2.jpg

Badge:
american_17a1usmc_big3.jpg

interesting article would be nice to see different variant's and paint finnish and marking's . For Brittish and US helmet's.
Nice helmet guy's .
Mark

Back