M87 - A Helmet as the result of a competition with a profit of 1000 marks for the winner

Sandmann

Dear friends,
Currently, I prepare a timeline with the development history of the Pickelhaube in Prussia from 1842-1918 for my website. For this I have tried to collect as many original AKO texts as possible, or at least publications from that time as evidences.
In doing so, I came across an interesting but so far apparently unmentioned AKO of April 18, 1884, in which a competition for the improvement of the pickelhaube and other equipment items of the soldiers was to be found. The winner and the 2nd place received 1000 Marks, and the Pickelhaube M87 was the result of this competition.
The article is interesting for me also because the War Ministry says clearly that at that time the Pickelhaube was already not constructed to have a protective effect against the modern weapons or sabres anymore, as it was the case in 1842, as it was no longer listed in the requirements of the new helmet. They just wanted a light helmet that would make the soldier look stately and provide good protection against the weather. Further it should have a good ventilation and not hinder the soldier in shooting with a rifle.
An extract from the requirements states (translated in english):
„The helmet should protect against blinding sunshine and against rain. The lightest possible weight should be aimed for. A firm but not uncomfortable fit on the head, even when the scales are raised and when shooting in a prone position with field-marching equipment. As easy as possible to miss, good ventilation for the head, are other requirements. It is desirable that the helmet contributes to the military appearance of the soldier.“

Source of the pictures: Armee-Verordnungsblatt - Band 18 (1884), page 79-81 (Nr. 75)
39CE81F7-7AA9-46C3-888E-954CDD2BCD33.png9355B858-5ED5-4C37-9B85-765F52351431.pngBE1D2636-D0AF-4251-9589-BEBC2A11605F.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sandy,

Looking forward to the overview of Pickelhaube development on your website :)

Regards,

Lars

Amazing to see that by 1884 the AKO already knew that the pickelhaube offered no protection other than from rain or sun. Well done Sandy.

I wonder Sandy if you will find evidence of the AOK actually promoting investigation into a steel helmet design during the 20 year period 1884-1914? I have always believed that the British helmet was based on a Medieval helme. Again, excellent work!

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your opinions 🙏
Brian, I don't think they could imagine a trench warfare like 1914 and that was a reason why the further development of the spiked helmet focused more on the look than on the protective effect. Back then they basked in past victories as they rode cavalry to victory. Of course they knew about the shrapnel and its power, but probably no one could have imagined that a whole war would be fought in trenches and that protecting the head would become so important.

I have now uploaded the article „Development history of the Pickelhaube in Prussia“ on my website. If you click on the link you will find an English and a German version as I published information earlier:

historien-Kabinett.de - Development history of the Pickelhaube in Prussia between 1842-1918

Since my collection doesn‘t yet contain any old helmets, the informations is unfortunately without example photos. And bcause of the copyright I didn't want to risk anything. But to be able to offer something new, I tried to accompany it with as many original AKOs or historical releases as possible.possible.

If any of you have missing AKOs, other information from the period, or original War Department communications, I would be most grateful to add them to my website.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer to my question Sandy. I think you are correct, no one could have foreseen the horrors of modern trench warfare.

Hello all,
I’d like to add an information:
I updated the entries of 1895/1897 and added evidences from the clothing regulations regarding the reduction of the cockade diameter to 48 mm. Furthermore I added some buttons to get to the next/last period more easily..
Development history of the Prussian Pickelhaube between 1842-1918
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you see any mistake I made. I‘m open for discussions 🤝
Thank you in advance for your interest and also for any hint to improve the article (historien-kabinett(at)t-online.de).

Back