M95 'scales on M15 Garde helmets?

Gus spoke to me of some mealy-mouthed grifter at SOS that came up with some cockamamie story about a steel M15 EM plate being given 'a silver wash for parade use' by way I think, of palming off a piece of trash to would be buyers. Whilst this sounds like complete and utter drivel it made me wonder whether M95 brass 'scales would still have been worn on parade on Garde helmets after the introduction of the M15 or whether they would have just gone with the chinstraps? Did they even bother with such niceties as parades at this point in the War?

Hey Mike,
I think there was something lost in translation, the part about the silver wash and parade was correct, but the helmet in question was rather nice, and I now have it at what I thought was a good price.
Gus

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick here Gus, the line was breaking up a bit. So I owe the mealy-mouthed grifter an apology. Sorry MMG. But a silver wash on an infantry M15 EM helmet plate for parade usage - really, I'm amazed!

Gee Mike,
Communications were great on my end, According to Brian, the silver wash was just a different colour of grey, it does have a shiney look to it though. His reaction was interesting when he heard Brian tell me that the silver wash was normal, and I was more interested in a normal helmet.
Gus

Hi Gus, I think I see what you mean by the 'silver wash' now, as the colour grey can vary a lot especially taking into account paint and chemical applications. But a silver wash specifically for an M15 parade helmet still perplexes me.

Sorry about my mis-consrueing your initial description. :colors:

Now you have it,
The seller really thought that the grey parts had a silver wash (although it was nothing more than a shiney grey paint) At least he did not advertize it as a General's helmet.
Gus

Hey Spikey:
Getting back to your original question as I understand it. First I can not see Garde Regts wearing scales on M15 helmets even if on parade. The chin straps would be leather. Mind you, in 1915 some troops would have their M95 helmets with covers and scaled chin straps. Other new erecruits would have their M15's. Consequently, I see a mixture of headdress in any 1915 era Garde parade. Think of the number of Line Inf pics we see that have a mixture of helmets being worn. Brian

Thanks Brian, I thought it would be unlikely but I felt it was worth asking the question. I'll keep a look out for pictures though.

Back