M95 Wurttemberg Artillery Helmet

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
James had this shell up for sale here a few months back. It was missing the wappen, kugel , kokarden, chin strap and needed a rear visor restitch. However, the most important bits....visor trim and correct Arty spine (no slider vent), complete liner were there. So, hoping that the gods would smile down upon me, I bought it. I had a spare brass kugel, Wurtt. kokarde, spike brads and tin support disc so all I really needed was the wappen. I did get lucky, as a couple of weeks after it arrived, James emailed me to say that he had located the correct wappen up for sale by a US dealer. He bought it for me and then mailed it on up here to the North. (y) One really great thing about this hobby, is the excellent friends we make! Thanks again James for your help. :) Some photos of the helmet as it is now:
F7B99657-6F17-46BE-8EB9-B645B1309CE9_1_201_a.jpeg
I am going to clean up the wappen using my sonic cleaner. I will also probably give a light clean to the rest of the fittings using Never Dull. I have had the original chin strap for at least 15 years....I could never get it to fit over the average M91 posts on my helmets lacking original straps. However, this time it fit perfectly. Yay!!!! (y) The replacement wappen also had to be carefully bent back in a curve to match up with the shell. However, once this was done the knights' helmet and antlers matched up with marks in the finish of the helmet.
11B9625C-374A-433C-A07A-44F697B4C3E4_1_201_a.jpeg
I put on original kokarden which I felt had the correct patina to match the condition of the helmet. The wappen is sitting loose in the grommet holes in this picture so we see a slight gap.... new leather wedges will tighten this up.
AEB9473D-9A5A-4929-BB44-E41EA6BB2077_1_201_a.jpeg
This is the "killer" fitting, the correct M95 artillery spine which is original to the helmet. This is especially important, as there are no markings except for a faint makers ink stamp and the size 55 cm.
3D5678ED-4E0A-4865-BA21-1BA2E43DCC3C_1_201_a.jpeg
A slight dent in the shell, but the liner is complete and in good shape. I have never seen one of these up for sale here in N. America and this is the first that I have ever had in my collection. To use a phrase from my Scottish cousins, I am quite "chuffed" to own it...happy! :D

Last edited:
Ha! Ha! Good luck on that! :D Again my thanks Bud for putting it up for sale and tracking down that wappen! When I sell it down the road, you will get first crack.

Gosh,

That looks like the parts have always been together.

You would not know that it had been anything other than original. Good matching, Brian!

It is funny with the chinstrap on M95s..., they seem to be off by a few hundredths or thousandths of an inch between different manufacturers in different German States. I have been a little frustrated over the years if I moved a strap for a few rebuilds.

Maybe that is why the repro straps always seem kind of loose on most helmets. They made them bigger to fit just about everything...

Thanks for the comment USMC, you are totally correct, what I see when looking at the end strap post fittings is how thick/wide they are which suggests to me, something designed for a more exclusive regiment. I could be totally wrong but I have the impression that pre war the manufacturers made slightly better quality helmets for elite regiments.

I cleaned up the Wurttemberg wappen recently using my sonic cleaner and some Haggerty silver foam:
IMG_3692.jpeg
I am quite pleased with the way things turned out. However, now the rest of the fittings are going to have to be cleaned a bit to match. I am not going to take them off, just clean them in place.

That looks nice Brian.

Better than the wappen I dropped into a bowl full of white vinegar last week!

I gotta hit Harbor Freight and get a sonic cleaner in my life, I think...

Bryan.

Back