Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron, Interesting compilation of original wartime film footage

ww1czechlegion

Here's some cool original B&W wartime footage of the Red Baron, Manfred von Richtofen. Towards the end it also shows a young Hermann Goering.

It would be fun to see what Peter Jackson could do with this if he colorized it and digitally enhanced it.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Excellent. Of note....no German pilot is seen wearing the typical flying helmet we see for sale. The one with the crash ring around the forehead. Perhaps these were introduced after this film? All pilots wear the simple thin leather flying helmet similar to that worn in WW2.

Great short.
I never knew that such a thing existed .
Herman was a handsome guy back in the day .
Thanks for sharing.

Excellent. Of note....no German pilot is seen wearing the typical flying helmet we see for sale. The one with the crash ring around the forehead. Perhaps these were introduced after this film? All pilots wear the simple thin leather flying helmet similar to that worn in WW2.
That’s because the Flieger crash helmet was for training, and in operational use by reconnaissance and ground attack crews. Not Jasta fighter pilots.

Gentlemen, in my opinion this is very interesting film! Pay close attention to the shorter pilot who comes in from out of frame and gets close to MVR then backs away. If I am not mistaken (feel free to correct me) he is wearing a silk visor cap. The give away to me is the bright sheen it's giving off even in a B&W film.

John

Back