Marshal Joffre’s car

Jupiter66

Hello everyone,

I volunteer at the museum of Marshal Joffre in Rivesaltes (hometown of the Marshal and city famous for muscat) and show us the car of the Marshal

The Renault 40HP Type GX, 7540cm3 Six cylinders. Length 5.34m, width 1.77mn, height 1.66m.

joff.jpgjof 2.jpg

This car was ordered by the French Army and attributed to Marshal JOFFRE. As was done at the time, the chassis and engine were manufactured at Renault and dressed by the renowned French bodybuilder Labourdette.

After spending many years in Rivesaltes, the Marshal’s hometown, it was sold to a museum in the United States and returned to France in the 1990s. Bought by Champagne TAITTENGER, beautifully restored, it is on display at the headquarters in Reims, in a space commemorating the victory of the Battle of the Marne.
jof 3.jpg

Attachments

• jof 2.jpg
    jof 2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 2
  • joff.jpg
    joff.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 0
Hello everyone,

I volunteer at the museum of Marshal Joffre in Rivesaltes (hometown of the Marshal and city famous for muscat) and show us the car of the Marshal

The Renault 40HP Type GX, 7540cm3 Six cylinders. Length 5.34m, width 1.77mn, height 1.66m.

View attachment 24590View attachment 24591

This car was ordered by the French Army and attributed to Marshal JOFFRE. As was done at the time, the chassis and engine were manufactured at Renault and dressed by the renowned French bodybuilder Labourdette.

After spending many years in Rivesaltes, the Marshal’s hometown, it was sold to a museum in the United States and returned to France in the 1990s. Bought by Champagne TAITTENGER, beautifully restored, it is on display at the headquarters in Reims, in a space commemorating the victory of the Battle of the Marne.
View attachment 24592
Champagne TAITTENGER,
It would be nice to sip a coupe or a flute
while viewing the car !
Steve

I’ve like to see what in the museum. I have the Verlag Militaria books, The French Army, vol 1&2 So I’ve examined photos of Joffre’s uniform hours many times. Those two books are wonderful for the French collector

I’ve like to see what in the museum. I have the Verlag Militaria books, The French Army, vol 1&2 So I’ve examined photos of Joffre’s uniform hours many times. Those two books are wonderful for the French collector
Are they by Laurent Mirouze?
Steve

Hi Steve,

Ah the TAITTENGER champagnes, it’s delicious but expensive...

Since the Champagne TAITTENGER is the owner of the car, it is the first time that it returns to the hometown of Marshal Joffre

Hi Steve,

Ah the TAITTENGER champagnes, it’s delicious but expensive...

Since the Champagne TAITTENGER is the owner of the car, it is the first time that it returns to the hometown of Marshal Joffre
Most of the Taittinger Champagne that I have had is the non -vintage.
The 1981 Vintage that I bought years ago must have been a closeout deal
or it was a very special occasion.
Steve

MARECHAL JOFFRE’S PERSONAL CAR

22414010.jpg

For years, Jean Gauby, stage manager of Marshal Joffre, kept in his garage in Rivesaltes, the Delaunay Belleville 1913 car of Marshal Joffre. He was happy to show her around.

As Mr Gauby served as a chauffeur, she served Joffre to see his vineyards and to walk around the department. At Joffre’s death it was given to him.
In 1975, the heirs sold it.

Restored at the Citroën garage in Perpignan, it was transported to Lyon. Until 2007, it was exhibited in Pont l'Evêque in Normandy at the Belle Epoque Museum of Automobile, Betteville Castle. When the museum closed, it was sold.

22483010.jpg22554710.jpg
It was in 1913 that the man who would become Marshal Joffre acquired the 4-cylinder Delaunay Belleville, a flagship of the Normandy Museum’s collection for several years. This limousine has been coached with driver separation, and a passenger/driver communication system, roof gallery, beautiful dashboard with OS tachometer with daily meter and totalizer, SEV ammeter, oil pressure gauge: It benefited from innovations of the time: oil lubrication under pressure and electric lighting provided by a very nice pair of SEV headlights to which, out of prudence, was added to the left of the windscreen an acetylene adjustable headlight.

This interesting, luxurious and rare collection car is therefore also valuable by its provenance, as evidenced by the documents that were given to us, and reproduced opposite. It should be considered the “family car”. Around 1920, a car was kept for life and it was normal to make it enjoy the novelties making it a more pleasant use or even a more modern look: the limousine of the Maréchal Joffre thus saw itself equipped with a front axle with front brakes parrot, metal wheels, a new dynamo when the awning, hood and radiator were replaced in 1923 by Guldener, bodybuilder in Marseille: a more rounded awning with less marked angles and especially one of the new round radiators Delaunay Belleville slightly inclined and windproof. Its original registration number was 8773 A. We have a copy of the registration, an old series, dating from 1931, issued in the name of Madame La Maréchale Joffre.

She gave the car to her driver Mr. Gauby who was also the guardian of the Rivesaltes property..

To date, we do not know where this vehicle is locat

Back