Mauser Gew. 98 Sling

RON

Hello all,
What do you think of this one? The seller says there are no markings on it but it's genuine.
Legit or hard to tell? Looks like it's missing that extra parade hook isn't it?
MauserGew98-Sling-2a.jpg

MauserGew98-Sling-2b.jpg

MauserGew98-Sling-2c.jpg

MauserGew98-Sling-2e.jpg

MauserGew98-Sling-2d.jpg

MauserGew98-Sling-2f.jpg

So do you think it's authentic?
By sling swival, I guess you're referring to that metallic 'hook' that fixes the sling to the butt stock, correct?

So Ron, did you buy this one? If I can find it, I think I have a parade loop/hook loose somewhere.

Chip

Hey Chip,
No, not yet. I wanna make sure it's authentic first. Leather slings are so easy to copy and there are so many look alikes out there due to the huge number of Mausers that were brought back to the US during both wars, not to mention the sporterized versions... Besides, this one has no markings whatsoever so how can you really tell??
But thanks for the tip; I'll keep that in mind and get back to you.

Isn't the button end too large to fit into a sling swivel? This looks like a Swedish sling to me.
Best
Gus

In my experience, it's very hard to tell with these. This one has the correct cross hatched pattern leather, which is a good sign. The leather keeper is clearly a more recent replacement. Theoretically, the metal buckle should have a small inspector's stamp on it, but the only GEW98 sling I own that I'm 100% sure of is not marked or inspected in any way. Be aware there are some very good aged reproductions out there.
Steve

OK, I finally got my rifle out and this is not a Gewehr98 sling. The Gew.98 sling is sewn on one end to the metal piece that attaches to the front of the trigger guard. The slider buckle has a "button" on the back that buttons through the leather end loop that goes through the metal loop on the barrel ring. They are marked in two places, on the "button" on the back of the buckle and on the keeper on the other end (sorry, I can't find the word for the part).

Chip

The sling Chip described is the new model sling for the Gew. 98 rifle. There is also an earlier version of the Gew. 98 sling that is quite a bit different. The old model sling has the adjusting buckle sewn to one end and the buckle does not have a "button" on the back. Additionally, the swivel is not sewn to the sling. The end that accepts the swivel has two holes and a button fastener. While similar to the sling in question the old model Gew. 98 issue sling has a width of 30mm and tapers to a width of 22 mm at the end which accepts the swivel.

Period diagrams of the slings can be found on pages 282 & 283 of Rifle & Carbine 98, M98 Firearms of the
German Army from 1898 to 1918
by Dieter Storz.

Reservist1

Reservist1,

Thanks. It seems I need to get that book! I knew there were at least two types of slings for the kar98a, but had no idea that the Gewehr98 had more than one.

Chip

So if I understood you well R1 & Chip, the one I pictured--which is currently on eBay--isn't either version?
Some sportster version maybe?

Chip Minx said:
Reservist1,

Thanks. It seems I need to get that book! I knew there were at least two types of slings for the kar98a, but had no idea that the Gewehr98 had more than one.

Chip

Dieter Storz book is an excellant treasure trove of information, with plenty of photos too. Dieter is a curator at the Bavarian Armee Museum in Ingolstadt.

Chip Minx said:
Reservist1,

Chip

Dieter Storz book is an excellant treasure trove of information, with plenty of photos too. Dieter is a curator at the Bavarian Armee Museum in Ingolstadt.

Gustaf said:
Isn't the button end too large to fit into a sling swivel? This looks like a Swedish sling to me.
Best
Gus

Gus, these are Swedish slings? Oh boy! I picked up my sling like this reasonably, and had not come across one like this before. They are about 40", same as a Gew 98 sling. The buckle is not at all like the 88/98 slings as stated above. But the button is much like the older Gewehr 88 slings that attached the sling swival to the sling.

Wyliecoyote said:
Gustaf said:
Best
Gus

Gus, these are Swedish slings? Oh boy! I picked up my sling like this reasonably, and had not come across one like this before. They are about 40", same as a Gew 98 sling. The buckle is not at all like the 88/98 slings as stated above. But the button is much like the older Gewehr 88 slings that attached the sling swival to the sling.
I got off my butt and dug out the only example of a Swedish sling that I have, and it has a brass buckle with a tounge, so I was wrong. I figure that if Chip can be wrong, I had better be wrong too, or the world would spin off its axis.
Best
Gsu

Gus,

Admittedly, armament is not my strong suit. I guess I should have more correctly said, this is not a German issue Gew.98 sling. :)

Chip

Back