Mecklenburg Jäger with Jäger-Bataillon Nr.10 Shako

Here is a peculiar one!

The soldier at right was from Mecklenburgisches Jäger-Bataillon Nr.14, but his shako has the distinct front plate of Hannoversches Jäger-Bataillon Nr.10.

View attachment 29449
Karl
Thank you for posting this photo
I love it
as you know I saw it on another site where you had posted it
the reason for the shako as it is ?
A collector friend of mine suggested that it was a posed Studio photo
and the helmet was a prop of the studio
What do you think ?
Steve

Karl
Thank you for posting this photo
I love it
as you know I saw it on another site where you had posted it
the reason for the shako as it is ?
A collector friend of mine suggested that it was a posed Studio photo
and the helmet was a prop of the studio
What do you think ?
Steve
This could be one of the most accreditated reason.

They are both non commissioned officers with what seem to me, very well tailored overcoats. I would opine some form of aspirant officers given their youthful age. Why would they need photographer‘s props?

Regards
Glenn

a prop of the studio
Hi Steve,
I've read this so often when something is visible on a photograph that is hard to explain, and never believed it. Why would any self-respecting soldier don uniform items that don't belong to his unit? When I was in the military I certainly wouldn't have done that.
And why would the studio have a JB 10 Tschako with a JB 14 Feldzeichen? Imo there must be a different explanation, e.g. a lack of Tschakos with the correct Wappen, maybe part of RJB 14 raised by JB 10, etc?
Regards,
Lars

EDIT: regardless, it's a very nice and interesting photograph :)

Hi Steve,
I've read this so often when something is visible on a photograph that is hard to explain, and never believed it. Why would any self-respecting soldier don uniform items that don't belong to his unit? When I was in the military I certainly wouldn't have done that.
And why would the studio have a JB 10 Tschako with a JB 14 Feldzeichen? Imo there must be a different explanation, e.g. a lack of Tschakos with the correct Wappen, maybe part of RJB 14 raised by JB 10, etc?
Regards,
Lars

EDIT: regardless, it's a very nice and interesting photograph :)
I would have to agree that it was likely his Shako, and due to shortages, he was issued what was available. One thing is for sure, if a collector encountered that now, they would deem it to be put-together and "fix" it.

I would have to agree that it was likely his Shako, and due to shortages, he was issued what was available. One thing is for sure, if a collector encountered that now, they would deem it to be put-together and "fix" it.
I would today buy it "as is "
I have seen studio photos especially 1 G R zu Fuss where a "spare parade miter sits on a table
I have seen a KAGGR # 1 musician wearing a miter without the red puschel
Steve

Back